Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 shock collar on a newly pregnant dog, okay or bad? >

shock collar on a newly pregnant dog, okay or bad?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

shock collar on a newly pregnant dog, okay or bad?

Old 12-02-2006, 09:03 PM

Default shock collar on a newly pregnant dog, okay or bad?

I assume it might be bad but I just acquired a 2.5 y/o black lab female, she's a very sweet and great natured dog but has a barking problem at night unlike my chocolate. i have a small inotek shock collar i occasionally use. even with a weak battery though, turned on high it would barely make my 57lb choc. flinch if she decided to try to get near the road or such. but it may be enough to get the hint across. she's about 50-55lbs and she was bred on the 21st of november. so any experience in this sort of thing. as smart as she is i think a couple times should get it in her head.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:24 AM

Default RE: shock collar on a newly pregnant dog, okay or bad?

Personally, I know it is more work but I would just get up every time she barks and grab her nose and let her know that this is not acceptable behavior before I would put an ecollar on a pregnant dog. Is she crated or kenneled? If ina kennel try putting her in a crate in the house so you are closer to her...and you don't scare the neighbors in walking around in skivvey's.
It's always easier to do basic's in the house first and then move her outside...she will get the hint after some consistancy.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:17 PM

intensity level is ultra important. I have had extremely hard dogs that had a very low tolerance for electricity and soft dogs that you had to set it on 5 for. Every single dog is different. At the lowest levels of stimulation it is like a tickle and should not have a negative effect. Higher levels and personally I would try alternate means as stated until later. Barking sometimes does take a little more coercion than other tasks. good luck
Old 12-11-2006, 04:31 PM

well all is good now, a couple nights and now she's calm and quiet, saved me trouble without lifting a finger or a button. now if all the other dogs around here would shut up at night it'd be nice.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

if all the other dogs around here would shut up at night it'd be nice.
You must be my neighbor!