Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

POINTING LAB??

Old 11-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default POINTING LAB??

i was out teaching ourlabs to shake hands..it took me about 2 days to get him to shake..

now, i say sit,then shake ,up comes paw..

strange thing now, i have POINTING LAB..

he lifts his paw and points at , mice, rabbits, birds, other dogs,snakes,cats,

he used to just run over and flush a bird in yard or mouse,rabbit etc..now he stops and lifts the paw ,waits and then goes in after bird or rabbit or house cat etc..

unreal..
Old 12-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: POINTING LAB??

I'm not sure, but I don't think that makes a pointing lab. It's a DNA thing, not a hand shake.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: camelcluch

I'm not sure, but I don't think that makes a pointing lab. It's a DNA thing, not a hand shake.
camel, i was just outback with labs..a plastic bag blew accross yard..that bag was filling with air..

lab thought it was something else..he pointed with his paw up,then took 2 steps, pointed again and held,then he looked back at me and would not move until i got there..

this all started after i trained him to shake hands last week..he points everything now where he used to go and just FLUSH IT..
Old 12-01-2006, 03:56 PM

a lab that points is a pointing lab.... pointing labs arent a special breed of dog.. they are just labs that point.. only time will tell if he will pojnt with birds though
Old 12-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JimmyMo32

a lab that points is a pointing lab.... pointing labs arent a special breed of dog.. they are just labs that point.. only time will tell if he will pojnt with birds though
you are correct
Old 12-02-2006, 06:10 AM

all animals descended from hunters ie wolves, cougars etc, will do that. Its called the "predatory pause". Pointing breeds just concentrated on breeding dogs that had a strong predatory pause to one another and through time the dogs would consistenly do it. The retrievers were at one time bred the same way but for their retrieving/carrying desires. Unfortunatly (in my opininion) so many have concentrated on trying to get labs and others to point that they don't breed as much for the retrieving instinct. End result is that we have retrievers that won't naturally retrieve and have to be force broke to retrieve. I have a lab by the way and a german shorthair so am not biased against the breed. Personally, I just wish that the true talent of labs (retrieving) was emphasized more and less about the pointing. all just my opinion
Old 12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gspjebPersonally, I just wish that the true talent of labs (retrieving) was emphasized more and less about the pointing. all just my opinion
The top notch PL breeders concentrate on both. My PL not only points 'with the best of 'em', but healso has a Master Hunting Retriever title.
My dog got invited to run in the 2006 Master Nationals and is invited back for the 2007 Master Nationals.
Good PLs can do it all.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doc E

ORIGINAL: gspjebPersonally, I just wish that the true talent of labs (retrieving) was emphasized more and less about the pointing. all just my opinion
The top notch PL breeders concentrate on both. My PL not only points 'with the best of 'em', but healso has a Master Hunting Retriever title.
My dog got invited to run in the 2006 Master Nationals and is invited back for the 2007 Master Nationals.
Good PLs can do it all.

if lab is not BIG lab,small long legged ones,and POINTS..that could be best all around dog ,if there is ever one..

all of sudden ,my lab,75 pds is starting to point..he is 3 yrs 8 months old..it all started after i taught him to shake hands..you have to laugh when you see it..

today he pointed a rabbit..he did not hold point for only 5 seconds then he turned to look at me, then jumped in after it..

up street he went after a rabbit..
Old 12-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

When a dog is TRULY pointing, it is frozen -- nothing is moving -- the dog hardly takes a breath -- the muscles are taught and frozen --- it'slike a statue-- if the dog is wagging it's tail, looking back to you etc etc, then it's not truly pointing -- it's standing game. When a dog is truly pointing, it will not break point............regardless of the amount of time.
There's HUGE difference between standing game and pointing.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doc E

When a dog is TRULY pointing, it is frozen -- nothing is moving -- the dog hardly takes a breath -- the muscles are taught and frozen --- it'slike a statue-- if the dog is wagging it's tail, looking back to you etc etc, then it's not truly pointing -- it's standing game. When a dog is truly pointing, it will not break point............regardless of the amount of time.
There's HUGE difference between standing game and pointing.

time doc, i am working on it..just to have him lift his leg and point is something i am excited about..he is not just flushing in like he used too,he at least waits about 5 seconds with leg up..

i like that..it gives me time to get ready..i also like him looking back for me ,he is letting me know that its here..thats a big thing ..

i cant figure why this is happening other than learning him to shake is all i did..

Quick Reply: POINTING LAB??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.