Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

POINTING LAB??

Old 12-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: POINTING LAB??

My BL has pointed since we started hunting 9 years ago. It began with teaching him to hold and now he will freeze and keep steady on the bird waiting for my go. He points like any of the big money ninnies I see in the field - the good part about a BL is he likes duck, goose and bear as well.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:50 PM

I have a chocolate lab and her daughter (a black), both are PL's. Their form isn't the greatest but they'll throw a point and won't budge until they get the call. The dam ofmy oldest's girl'slitter was also a PL.Before it was all the rage .

The only signthey even have of pointing lab bloodline is like 4 generations back where "Kellogg" is mentioned (PL Kennel). Both have been pointing since puppy days...
This is Bess as a puppy-

Her mother-

Old 12-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats something to have lab do that..if that continues, i see labs getting more popular than they are now..

lab is by far the best all around dog you can own,as long as they are the SMALL LONG LEGGED ONES..small is 50 to 65 for female,60/80 for male..

a male lab with long legs at 80 pds looks real small to me also..

Old 12-29-2006, 10:26 PM

You AKC peoplae are still wrong
breeding for looks makes bad dogs and akc junk has always done that good
my legs are too long
please get a real pointing breed and let the big stinking dog pick up birds out the water
I bet you don't even know what started pointing labs
Old 12-30-2006, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

A pointing lab momma and pointing lab dada.

You AKC peoplae
Actually, if you can prove five generations, you can register the dog with AKC. The same goes for FDSB. Hence, breeders are dual registering their dogs. So, with all these mixed register breeding, who knows what you're gonna get?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: daleh

You AKC peoplae are still wrong
breeding for looks makes bad dogs and akc junk has always done that good
my legs are too long
please get a real pointing breed and let the big stinking dog pick up birds out the water
dale, i never saw or hunted behind a POINTING LAB..what is your opinion and have you had opportunity to hunt behind one..

of all dogs i have been around in bigwoods of pa. the lab is real nice one to be with..

they just seem to like to hunt CLOSE and if they cant see you they comeback..some dont like that,but i think its great that dog is looking for you while hunting..

i got screwed up in woods the other day..my cousins lab was with me..i was stupid to go into area that close to dark..

well, i thought, i have got to get out of this thick mess before it gets dark..i had my compass but was not feeling well..my heart was pounding bad and i was sick..

i thought,oh boy, i lost his lab,i was worried both ways..

well, i sat down and threw up..wind was howling bad,pine trees blowing,leaves etc..

i was in bad shape..you know what happened..that LAB came back to me, right to me..i never even called for him..

i then felt better and said, lets go to truck..

well, we made it out before it got real dark and that dog stayed with me every set of way..the mountains here without snow in dec are one nasty mother to be in..they all look same..

anyhow, that lab did not take me to look for him, he looked for me..

thats kind of dog i want to be with..
Old 12-31-2006, 07:18 AM

Maybe, it is the way that pointing labs got started with breeding practices.
I just don't like any dog that has no go i can walk to a covey of planted birds or walk up pheasants just fine.
I want a dog that hunts hard and covers alot of ground. Wild Quail are not at every turn in a field.
There is only about 1 covey per 50 acres on my place. 1 covey per 15 acres in the best TX hunt and most places 1 covey per 100-200 acres.
Grouse Hunting is difficult at best with tough terrain and a uphill battle in thick cover and woods. I understand that most people do not want a go-get-em dog for this type of hunting.

However; good dogs always adjust to how you hunt them.
For example My Dogs know when we are walking they hunt a little slower and closer within a 100 yds or so from me. When i am on horseback or atv they go hard and fast working the edges of the fields and cover.
When we go into the thined out pines they slow down and stay within 40-50yds. In the thicker Hard woods it is even closer
Old 01-01-2007, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

I think range has alot to do with how comfortable the dog is staying out of site from you or howfamiliar the dog is in a particular field. I never hadmy dog out of site more than a couple minutes as she always checks in when hunting an area that's she isn't familiar with. As long as she can see me or knows exactly where I'm at, that's how far she'll range, i.e. she won't wander off. But in an area where she knows well, she'll run out but only in open cover. In heavy cover, she'll run out then wait till I catch up or most likely make sure that's the direction I'm actually going.

Just my observation.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:50 PM

I always chuckle when the whole range issue comes up, and how a dog MUST have range to cover a whole section or he is a worthless upland dog, blah, blah, blah.

All of my dogs (2 drahts and 1 gsp) can and will run fairly wide in open country. By fairly wide I mean about 200 or so yards out maybe even further. For ptarmigan in the tundra they will get out there. For grouse they shorten up and keep me in sight most of the time. The limiting factor is ME and they know it.

A smart dog knows they have to wait for the gun and they know you need to know where they are at. They come looking for me if they don't see me.

Conformation and coat is important. The german breeding guidelines that I follow ensure that the dogs have the right coat and conformation to be a viable all around dog or they cannot be bred.

Temperment is also important. The dogs must be amicable around people, but hard enough to run hogs or bear (even brown bear in Europe) and dispatchvermine like coons and coyote quickly. Most of them will also protect the home or the car or even yourself.

I have gone through many dogs in the past, and I am sold on the JGHV (FCI registered) testing. These dogs are probably the best balanced animals I have ever owned. Their drives are all very nice, retrieve, track, point, and dispatch with good nerves. I took my nine month bitch down to SD, and had a three hour layover in Chicago. Took her out of her crate, walked her through a huge airport with me pulling a luggage cart, got her on a tram, people pasisng, etc. She wagged her tail the whole time. People petted her etc. When I was dozing waiting for the flight, she calmly laid next to me. When a man approached us to pet her while I dozed, she let him know very quickly that this was "our" space, and no one invades it without me allowing it.

All my dogs are very calm and docile in the house, my new pup has been the easiest going house dog I have ever seen at his age, but runs and guns hard in the field -- its the genetics. They can turn it on and off at will.

There are very nice dogs in the AKC, but there is a ton of junk as well. No breeding requirements have too many people going in opposite directions with no consistency in mind.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Lets see - if my lab holds a bird until I release him to out it up why would I need to get another dog that is a bred pointer since I am getting the same result. I can also use this dog to hunt the spectrum where to "nice smelling?" pointers are only use full for upland hunting.

This is like telling me to sell my 30'06 to get a real rifle that shoots 180g bullets only - counterintuitive.

Quick Reply: POINTING LAB??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.