Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

POINTING LAB??

Old 12-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: POINTING LAB??

If you want to enhance the "point", you need to do some WHOA training.

I seriously doubt if the "hand shaking" had anything to do with what you are seeing ---- it wouold have happened with or without the "shake hands" stuff.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was just outside with him,its dark and 9.40 pm ..i let him out to pee..
i turned the spotlight on in yard,he was at point, or standing as you said, not moving,pointing a house cat he had cornered..

for 3 yrs and 8 months he would dive right into cats,or raccoons, possums ,bear in yard..

now,he stands still, ears up,lifts right paw looking at animals..does not move until i close..

what heck is happening to my dog!!
Old 12-16-2006, 07:31 PM

WHAT'S THE POINT
GET A REAL BIRD DOG
Old 12-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: daleh

WHAT'S THE POINT
GET A REAL BIRD DOG
dale, doc e has said many times before that the setter ,if only hunting birds, is one to get....

all around dog is LAB..if lab is bred to point, thats something that is a great thing, i feel..

i dragged a grouse wing the other day all over my property, i hid it in spot..i left lab go and he was on that grouse in 10
seconds..something to see..

does same in woods EXCEPT i wish he would hold a point at 20 yds or so on grouse, he FLUSHES..

having LAB that holds a point is something that i have to see..

only problem i have so far with our labs hunting wild grouse is they tire out ,maybe its conditioning etc.i also have small long legged americam lab..80 pds max on male even thos he looks 60 pds..he tires out in about 2 hours or so ..

that is only thing other than point i wish i had in him..so setter is better for birds but if a pointing lab happens, that could change my view from the setter..

secret to hunting grouse here in heavy woods is dog that hunts no more than 30 yds in front of you..

the only one i see that does this is LAB..others, well, you train /hunt dogs,you know how far they hunt out in front..

grouse in pa. WILL NOT sit and let dog hold them..they only chance you have is to BE CLOSE and DOG CLOSE when they flush..
Old 12-22-2006, 06:52 PM

k
Old 12-28-2006, 01:13 AM

MY LAB HAS LEARNED TO POINT OVER THE LAST YEAR. MY GSP AND LAB WILL BE ON POINT SIDE BY SIDE AND WILL HONOR ONE ANOTHER. MY LAB HAS NO FANCY BLOOD LINES AND IS PROBALLY CLOSER TO A MUT THAN SOME TRIAL CHAMPION. I DON'T THINK HAVING A POINTING LAB IS SOME AMAZING FEAT AT ALL, I THINK LABS ARE JUST THAT SMART. I HAVE NEVER TAUGHT HER TO POINT EVER AND I KNOW HER PARENTS HAVEN'T EVER POINTED, I JUST THINK THEY ARE EXTREMELY SMART AND WILL PICK UP ON THINGS FASTER THAN OTHER DOGS.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Between 7% and 10% of Labs from NON-PL Ancestry will show point.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doc E

Between 7% and 10% of Labs from NON-PL Ancestry will show point.

the labs i saw really were not pointing,they were STANDING,as doc e calls it..my beagle points..

i am going to WARRIORSMARK ,a friend says he has POINTING LAB..
Old 12-29-2006, 12:13 AM

Doc E the wealth of knowledge you have is amazing!!!! I am usually impressed with your post and want to know how you get all of this info?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NEBHNTR

Doc E the wealth of knowledge you have is amazing!!!! I am usually impressed with your post and want to know how you get all of this info?
I just make $#!t up

Actually just a lot of research and study.

Quick Reply: POINTING LAB??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.