HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Outside dog (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/164864-outside-dog.html)

Teach101 11-13-2006 01:11 PM

Outside dog

At the risk of really getting slammed here, I have a thought I’d like to share. What breed of dog does well in a kennel/back yard? Pointer? I know all the “bonding” BS that goes with the dog in the house idea. Been there, done (doing that!). But I’m thinking more outside than inside next time.

WalkSoft 11-13-2006 08:37 PM

RE: Outside dog

I have a GSP. He is a house dog. We have a kennel in the yard for him. As soon as we walk out of sight from him he howls and crys terrible...for a long time. We gave up he stays inside. Some people say keepin a hunting dog inside is bad some say its good. I think it depends on the dog. Some dogs are more independent than others.(kind of like people) When we picked out our dog at the kennel the moment I gave him back and walked inside to talk to the breeder he started wailing. It really depends on the dog.

Mite 11-14-2006 01:30 AM

I think it's a fallacy. Any good dog with the instincts to hunt will hunt regardless if they are kept indoors or outdoors. It's the process of how you bond with the dog that separation anxiety effects the dog. Some dogs actually prefer living outdoors. I took in a lost pointer pup and he preferred to sleep outdoors. Everytime I brought him into the house, he would find his way outside.

AlaskaMagnum 11-14-2006 05:33 PM

I agree that a dog can be kept outoors and be happy. However, no dog can be kept outdoors and FORGOTTEN most of the day and be kept happy!

I like my dogs in the house. I think it makes for a calmer, more mentally stable, animal. Dogs left alone all day in a kennel tend to get a little on the neurotic side.They are pack animals, and I believe it is kinda unfair to keep one all by itslef for 20 hours out of the day.

Along those lines, if you give the dog proper shelter, exercise, and training, get whatever breed you like.

CDover 11-14-2006 06:29 PM

I am looking at my 6yr old GSP laying on her...Bed I shot 6 Pheasants over her last week. She pointed them all fine....I also don't worry about her running off...She always keeps up with me.....So I would say by living indoors the bond is much stronger...............

Riffer 11-27-2006 11:03 PM

NO!!!!!!!!! Dont get an outside dog that was what my last dog was the only people she liked was me my dad and hisone hunting buddy she hated everone else she would always growl at people just walking by our back fence (the back yard faced a park)

farmchick 12-22-2006 09:41 AM

Are you looking for a pet, or hunting dog? We have walkers that stay in a lot,and do fine as long as they are taken out and worked enough. They are great with kids, have good leash manners. I have a lab (as a pet..no hunting) She became destructive when we moved to our new home, which does not allow her to roam. We built a lot for her...which was not gonna work. She stays outside all day, never in the house. I haven't had an inside dog since I was a little girl.

RustyD02359 12-22-2006 11:25 AM

Any dog can live outside so long as they are acclimated, have a good insulated house for winter and protection from the wind and fresh unfrozen water. They must learn to live outside from day one, that way that is how they think it is. Then coming in is a treat and not a given.My dogs live in the house and sleep in the bed. Yet I will leave them out somewtimes and when I go away they can be left out with food and water for the week I am off somehwere. My litters go out as soon as they can and learn to live outside. But they are also crate trained for inside or travel.That way the new owner has the choice of what to do when they get the pup home.

cascadedad 12-22-2006 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: AlaskaMagnum

I agree that a dog can be kept outoors and be happy. However, no dog can be kept outdoors and FORGOTTEN most of the day and be kept happy!

I like my dogs in the house. I think it makes for a calmer, more mentally stable, animal. Dogs left alone all day in a kennel tend to get a little on the neurotic side.They are pack animals, and I believe it is kinda unfair to keep one all by itslef for 20 hours out of the day.

Along those lines, if you give the dog proper shelter, exercise, and training, get whatever breed you like.
I agree with AM. When I first got my lab 6 years ago, she was an outside (kennel) dog. I was not able to be there all day to potty train, etc. and I did not want to have problems with the dog, which would then cause problems with my wife, if you know what I mean.

BUT, I took her to the park or the river EVERY SINGLE DAY for exercise and time spent with her. I worked with her almost every day on basic obedience commands and then on other commands I wanted to use for hunting.

My wife did not like the dog being "Locked up in the kennel", it was cruel. But after training, when I put Abby in the back yard, she would go right in the kennel and lay down. That was HER SPACE.

She hasn't seen kennel time in several years now, but I am sure she would have no problem with it. She is a house dog now and just goes outside to do her business and she stayes in the back yard when we are not home.

I don't think it matters which breed as long as they get what they need, they will be happy.