Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

HELP ME DECIDE

Old 11-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default HELP ME DECIDE

ok I want to get a dog but I dont know how much time i will have to hunt with it So it might not even be for hunting but it sounds like alot of you know alot about dogs, Im torn betwee, Black lab, german shorthair, blue healer, Pitbull, wrottweiler (not sure of spelling) or a patterdail terrier Looking for a fun dog with lots of energy and who is a great companion.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:33 PM

Default RE: HELP ME DECIDE

hmm.. i would say it is to your preferance.. to you want a dog that will protect you or a dog that you can hunt with.. i myself would say a gsp or a black lab.. i actulllay just got a dog and it is a black lab/gsp mix.. i defintly wouldnt go with a rotweiler or pitbull i just dont like those dogs.. but its up to you.. if you plan to do any hunting gsps and labs make great companions and hunters/retrievers
Old 11-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

I know I always talk up the Weimaraner's but these dogs are everything you just explained in your post. You may want to check them out.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:52 PM

Hey Seth, sent ya a pm. Thanks Jonesy
Old 11-12-2006, 01:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pitbull, wrottweiler (not sure of spelling)
Check with your insurance company before getting one of these as some will drop you like a hot potato.

Looking for a fun dog with lots of energy and who is a great companion.

Did you check out an Irish Setter they can do this for you.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

It really depends upon what you hunt. A blue healer is for fur (I think) as I have never heard mention of them bird hunting. I does sound like you want a dog that will protect you so I'd say a black lab for upland/waterfowl. If you want something that can hunt fur, ask someone else as I don't know about these dogs. But I wouldn't recommend an english setter. Overall they are friendly, people oriented. They'll bark but it's because they want attention. My setter will bark a people passing by but tail will be going 90 miles an hour.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:53 PM

I have a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is a good dog. Most dogs can be great dogs. GSP have A LOT of energy. If you spend time with them they'll do anything for you. I don't know diddly really about training dogs, but my pointer does what i tell him to...layoutgoose hunting, pointbirds,find lost baseballs...they just want to get it right. If you spend time with the dog he'll do what you say. I wouldn't expect this from a non hunting dog.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you just want an al around pal. Consider adopting a homeless dog. There are many breed specific adoption groups out there, check out petfinder.com. My current four legged companion is a cross between a golden retriever and a yellow lab. he has the body and coat of the lab and the golden/red color of the golden retriever. I have him four years and he was 8 mos. old when I got him.He is the best dog around my grand children any one could imagine. I hunt small game and upland birds only about 4 or 5 times a year, and he is adequate for helping me to flush out the game and also at retrieveing it after the shot.( just for the record, when I first brought him home I introduced him to some canvass bumpers and phesant scent and did a little bit of field work with him.) He also accompanies me on backpacking trips, day hikes, andwalks around town. He loves to play fetch and he is a natural at playing frisbee. His name is COPPER and he is probably the most rounded dog I will ever know.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Fork Horn

No matter what dog you decide on you need to bond with him, spent time with him and train him to be what you want him tobe. I wish you lots of luck and I hope you and your dog will spent years making memories. GOOD LUCK.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would go to spca and look at dogs..i saw some lab mix there and they looked real nice..if you are not going to be hunting a lot , this is what i would do..

also mix dog should have less health problems at times..i seen that over years too,many full bred dogs had all kinds of problems and that mix dog,well, they just did not have issues ..

i owned a few different breeds, i like the beagles but smartest dog i have seen is dog with lab in it..nice around home with kids..

Quick Reply: HELP ME DECIDE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.