Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Sick pup

Old 10-24-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Sick pup

My 20mo. lab has become ill. Saturday evening he vomited all night and was not his normal engertic playful self sunday morning no matter how much I tried I could not get him show any interest in his breakfast which is usually gulped down in 2 secs with 2 bites. I called an emergency vet hospital which recommended lettinghim rest for a couple of hours and then trying a mild canned food.I finally got to him eat around 3pm sunday and he seemed to be gettin back to his old self.Monday mornin he ate afull breakfast and was playful.THEN when my girlfriend got home in the afternoon he had diarrhea and vomit all over his kennel. Of course I took him right in to the vet. He is now being treated with pepcid to settle his stomach and a antibiotic in case of any bacteria. The vet said to wait an hour after his medication then feed him withthe food she supplied. I did and 1 hour after eating he vomitted it all back out.Last night (Monday) he was attempting to take a #2 and couldnt seem to pass anything but a few drops of diarrhea. He did not make any attempts this morning but did finish his breakfast and had not yet vomitted when I left for work (bout 1 hour after i feed him). Obviously if he has vomitted when I get home for lunch he will be going back to the vet. Anybody have any ideas? It seems to me he may have a blockage in his digestive system being he could not pass a #2 but still has an appetite. He definitly will be getting some xrays if he goes back today. Any suggestions
Old 10-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sick pup

It could very well be a blockage. I had a dog with the same symptoms a few years back and it was a blockage. Seems like your vet has ruled out a virus or bacterial infection, so I'm with you....x-rays are in order. Good Luck.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:23 PM

tatonka,

He has been slowly improving with no vomitting since monday evening, just a couple dry heaves on tuesday but still has not passed any solid stool, just very smallloose amounts. I spoke with the vet tuesday evening and they did not yet think x-rays were necessary because he is excited, playful and is eating. They instructed me to give him a food that they supplied in the amount that is less than half of what he usually consumes daily. My questions are... Isn't every 20month old pup, excited & playful (even if uncomfortable and in pain) & if a 95lb pup is only eating less than half of what they are used toI would thinkthat their bodies are burning every little bit. Do you remember how long it took your dog to pass the blockage? How was the dog treated? I'm not 100% sure if should be DEMANDING x-rays yet. What do you think?I know how high a large young dog's pain tolerance is and do not want him to be uncomfortable any longer than absolutly necessary.

thanks
Old 10-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

your dog ate something that is making him sick..labs eat anything..sardine can give dog runs..worms can too, i assumevet checked for worms etc..DIFFERENT CHANGE OF DOG FOODS CAN CAUSE THAT PROBLEM ALSO..HAVE YOU changed his dog food lately?

sooooooooooo, it should pass..my brothers lab swallowed a box of RAT POISON..you should have seen me flooring gas pedal to his house with epacat syrup to make him throw up..

i had to call police later to tell them if they got report of some nut driving fast, it was me..

you only have 30 minutes to give that to them.. you should have seen what that looked like when it came up, all BLUE..
Old 11-09-2006, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Another alternative to epacat is hydrogen peroxide, will make a dog vomitt
Old 11-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get a 2nd opinion from a different Vet.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 AM

sounds like either something is stuck in your dogs intestines or he possibly has worms. Intestinal blockages are no joke and can kill your dog. I know someone that had a great dane which died as a result of eating the stuffing out of it's bed.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:47 PM

Sure would like to hear a report on this.

At that point, I would have pretty much insisted on x-rays.

I have a Corgi that swallowed a mouse ball, computer mouse that is. Had to be surgically removed. A friends lab swalloweda piece of corn cob, it had to be surgically removed also. Darned dogs!!!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:21 PM

Had computer problems........

My dog improved steadily in the days following my last post. I watched him closley and never witnessed him pass anything. The vet did worm him even though he is kept up to date with all the routine maintence. I assume it was either the worms or something that just upset his stomach for a few days. I wish we could of known exactly what it was. But he is fine now and thats the most important thing.

Thanks for the help
Old 12-03-2006, 07:03 AM

My Springer Had the exact same symtoms several times. I took her to the vet, and after a lenghty exam was told that she probably ate something that upset her stomach ( obviously really badly), and the sickness was a result of bacteria. The vet said it was not uncommon. I was given about a weeks worth of meds for her, and instructed to feed her only white rice mixed with boiled chicken. As she got better I slowly started to mix her regular food with the rice/chicken mix, until I had weaned her back on to her regular food. I highly recommend feeding the rice/chicken mixture for dogs with diarhia.

Quick Reply: Sick pup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.