HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   dog died (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/160491-dog-died.html)

terbzz 10-18-2006 08:17 PM

dog died

ok i had a 7 month old chocolat lab named gus i live in a small town in the middle of no were {naper nebraska like 90 peaple} ok he stayed in the yard good some times he woud run over to the nabers yard to smell her cats and chase them but i called him back when i ever i was him then yesterday he was really sick did notmove very mutch threw up al lot and was just really sick and this morning he woudent evan move then i went to school and when i came home he was dead:(so me and my dad looked his sicknes up on the enternet and some how he got ratpoising i think it was the naber

MichaelT. 10-18-2006 08:19 PM

RE: dog died

I am sorry to hear that.

I feel bad for your loss.

snake123 10-18-2006 08:23 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. That's really sick if someone did that. It does seem that way to me as well.

Matt / PA 10-18-2006 08:32 PM

This is going to sound very harsh but I can't help it..............Why the hell did nobody take the dog to a vet!?:(

Are you kidding me!? The dog can't move and is just laying there throwing up and you leave him to suffer and die.

Perfect.
Then we'll check out what might have killed ol' Gus.
MY GOD

Do you think anyone would think to take you to the doctor if you were laying there not moving and throwing up?

It's called responsible pet ownership. Look that up on the internet.:eek:

10pointhank 10-18-2006 08:40 PM

my brittney passed away last spring

what bigger town is naper by?

i live in omaha and have a farm in falls city

Doc E 10-18-2006 09:21 PM

terbzz,
Harsh as it may seem, I definitely agree with Matt.

1. A dog must either be confined or under supervision (that would have prevented the dog from going to the neighbor's place) -- and if the neighbor did poison the dog, it would have prevented that too.

2. When a dog was that sick, why wasn't it taken to the Vet?

I hate to say it this way -- but there is no other way -- the dog's death was your fault.

Phil from Maine 10-19-2006 04:09 AM

1. A dog must either be confined or under supervision (that would have prevented the dog from going to the neighbor's place) -- and if the neighbor did poison the dog, it would have prevented that too.

2. When a dog was that sick, why wasn't it taken to the Vet?

I hate to say it this way -- but there is no other way -- the dog's death was your fault.

I agree with terbzz and Doc, You should of at least taken him to the vet!

I can't guess whether your nieghbor poisoned your dog or not. I had a friend who's dog got into rasins last year. The same kind of signs were present so he took him to the vet and after 4 days and 3 nights staying there they had to put him down. The only real way of knowing is by going to the vet.

CDover 10-19-2006 06:18 PM

was he vacinated..if not sounds like Parvo to me

salty 10-21-2006 10:01 AM

I agree, You should have taken that dog to the VET. It makes my blood boil to hear about people accepting pets and not taking responsibility when something goes wrong.

On the second hand, If your NEIGHBOR did indeed poison a 7 month old choc lab...... He or She needs to answer questions and if you live in such a small town you know how small towns handle issues like this.

If this were my dog someone would be paying the price, however this would not happen since I don't let my dog out of the yard (I.E. electric fence)

Doegirl75 10-21-2006 10:36 AM

Guys: I think we need to chill on this kid, which I think the poster is:
1. He had to go to SCHOOL
2. Spelling and grammar of the post
3. Him and his father looked up what could have killed the puppy.
4. He has said on a previous thread that he is 13.

Let's show a little empathy towards this poster. How sad is it for a boy to lose his dog.:( His FATHER, on the other hand, should have taken this dog to the vet, that I agree on.

salty 10-21-2006 01:42 PM

you are absolutely correct. His father should be ashamed of himself for not helping his son and his pet out in a time of need.

Rebel Hog 10-21-2006 08:37 PM

Sorry to hear that terbzz!

HikeNHunter 10-22-2006 10:12 AM

Chill ??????????????? I think not. What happened here is a series of events that should not happen ever. This boy, and his father need to take responsibility for their actions and inactions. First of all, small town or not, it is just irresponsible of anyone to allow his or her dog to roam in their neighbors yard. I live in a small town. After spending the time it took to teach my dog to go potty in the same corner of my small backyard I now have a neighbor who lets her dog run at large so now before my grand children can play in my yard I have to patrol and clean up after her dog which craps where ever it wants to. Secondly, for the dogs own good you need to teach him to stay at home. Even in a small town if he runs in front of a car and gets hit he will be hurt or dead. Thirdly, dog owners are respnsible for the health and welfare of their four legged friends. If the dog gets sick you take him to the vet. This isn't an option it is a duty as a dog owner. This boy needs to be educated in the responsibilities of dog ownership before he gets another dog. Do not chill on him. Be a little harsh. Educate him.do whatever you can to help him to not let this happen again

NEBHNTR 10-25-2006 02:46 AM

First off sorry to hear about your loss!!! Second off lets lay off him a bit here. We all know what happen could of been avoided, but this is how kids learn from mistakes. I am pretty sure all of us as kids all wanted to have a pet when we were young, and guess what we probally didn't feed him all the time, didn't clean up his crap and made mistakes, this happens. I am sure he has learned a valuable lesson from this and it won't happen again, but I'm sure it isn't helping everyone feeling "high and mighty" and piling on this kid. I'm sure now you guys aregoing to come back with some nice comebacks to this and thats fine, lets just lay off a little!!!

PS- People only learn from the mistakes they make!!!!!!

huntboy3181 10-30-2006 09:49 PM

Damn people, the kid is 13. Yeah, he screwed up, but how many people had their dog trained perfectly when they were 13? I don't think too many of you were expert dog trainers. Yeah he shouldn't have let it run to the neighbors, but it's a tiny town and neighbors should be a little more forgiving to a neighbors dog. all in all, stuff happens, just learn from it.

MTdrahthaar 10-31-2006 08:56 AM

I didn't know there were so many perfect people on here, especially when you were 13 years old. You know, this maybe was his first dog, and you guys come on here ripping into him! I have had dogs get sick, lay around for a day and come out of it, I guess that makes me a moron jack@$$!!You &%$#@#$ people don't know the exact circumstances, judging by his spelling and grammar, I am sure you aren't getting the whole story. But since you are all so perfect and have never had anything stupid happen to a pet then I guess you have the right to make a 13 year old boy feel worse than he already does.
"Dog guys", love ripping on inexperienced pet owners, new trainers, always give the "best" advice, because your swamp collie has a bunch of ribbons hanging off his collar from passing your "real life" hunt test? Jokers.

Matt / PA 10-31-2006 01:57 PM

"Dog guys", love ripping on inexperienced pet owners, new trainers, always give the "best" advice, because your swamp collie has a bunch of ribbons hanging off his collar from passing your "real life" hunt test? Jokers.
Hardly a dog guy, I haven't had a dog myself in quite a few years but I was stating the obvious. I don't care if the kid is 10yrs old.
He's smart enough to work a computer and the internet and tell the world that his dog was basically lying there dying in front of him and neither he or his dad decided a vomiting immobile animal warranted some attention. They are bothto blame for the dogs death and passing it off as "Oh well stuff happens good luck with your next dog" is rediculous.
There are mistakes, and then there is negligence.

Responsible pet ownership, somebody had to say it. When you own a pet you are responsible for that pets well being........on the same level as a human family member? Probably not, but when it something as obvious as what was stated action should have been taken to get the animal some care or a vets advice, not a half arsed post mortem exam done via a Google search.

Anyone who thinks this is "Stuff happens" should do a Google search on "clueless".:eek:

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-31-2006 02:16 PM

I 100% agree with Matt, the age of said person is not the issue. A 13 year old is old enough to have respondsibilities. When I was 13 I'd certainly question my parents about my sick dog. I think dogs are a gift from God and are incredible creature and to allow one to lay around and die is obscene and irrespondsible. Sure pets get sick and come out of it however there is a degree when respondsibility needs to be taken and this lad saw his dog was at that point. I don't blame the boy as much as I do the father and harsh as it is, perhaps needed and next time, Lord forbid he'll do the right thing. Call it tough love or being an arse, sometimes harsh is necessary.

sproulman 10-31-2006 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: terbzz

ok i had a 7 month old chocolat lab named gus i live in a small town in the middle of no were {naper nebraska like 90 peaple} ok he stayed in the yard good some times he woud run over to the nabers yard to smell her cats and chase them but i called him back when i ever i was him then yesterday he was really sick did notmove very mutch threw up al lot and was just really sick and this morning he woudent evan move then i went to school and when i came home he was dead:(so me and my dad looked his sicknes up on the enternet and some how he got ratpoising i think it was the naber
sorry to hear about your dog..labs WILL eat a box of rat poison..many people throw their old boxes of rat poison over river banks to get rid of it or to kill rats....here is my story.. my 8 month old dog, i let it loose..he went over bank..up he came with emty box of rat poison..

this was 11pm at night..i flipped out..

the only way to save dog is if you can get him to vomit within 30 minutes..

you need EPACAT SYRUP..i did not have any..called relatives, they did not..so, i went to local store and was ready to bust window out even if i went to jail..now, i only had 15 minutes to go..

the store owner lived up street, i woke him and we got in store..like you, i am in a small town and vet is over 1 hr away..

i gave my dog the EPACAT SYRUP, up came the rat poison..it was blue in color..

if you wait to long you must go to vet and get VITAMIN K shots for 30 days..even then, your dog may still die..

sadly, young dogs get into this situation..also some older dogs..my neighbors dog ate a half bag of tree fertilizer i had in my yard ready to sprinkle out..who would think a dog would eat FERTILIZER, SHE DID..

NEIGHBOR LETS HER DOG LOOSE ALL TIME..

vet charged her 310 dollars to look at dog etc..

now, she is mad at me..if her dog was not running loose or if i had not set bag down to go take a pee pee,this would not have happened..

anyhow, when dog is that sick where they wont move,dog should go to vet..as someone said, PARVO is another killer of dogs also..

again, sorry to hear this ..

HikeNHunter 10-31-2006 11:08 PM

ORIGINAL: NEBHNTR

First off sorry to hear about your loss!!! Second off lets lay off him a bit here. We all know what happen could of been avoided, but this is how kids learn from mistakes. I am pretty sure all of us as kids all wanted to have a pet when we were young, and guess what we probally didn't feed him all the time, didn't clean up his crap and made mistakes, this happens. I am sure he has learned a valuable lesson from this and it won't happen again, but I'm sure it isn't helping everyone feeling "high and mighty" and piling on this kid. I'm sure now you guys aregoing to come back with some nice comebacks to this and thats fine, lets just lay off a little!!!

NEBHNTR 11-01-2006 12:44 AM

Anyone who thinks this is "Stuff happens" should do a Google search on "clueless".:eek:

WELL JUST DID A SEARCH AND FOUND SOME INTERESTING THINGS. I FOUND THE MOST TRUSTWORTHY, SMART, AND RESPONSIBLE 10 YR OLD MODERATOR OR KID OF ALL TIME. HOPEFULLY WE CAN ALL STRIVE TO SLAM ON ANDPILE ON YOUNGKIDS BECAUSE " I WOULDN'T OF DONE IT LIKE THAT". WELL I GUESS THE ONLY THING LEFT IS TO HIRE A LAWYER AND TRY HIM FOR MURDER OR MAYBE WE SHOULD DO A CIVIL SUIT AGAINST HIM AND THEN WOULDNT NEED ANY SPONSORS ANYMORE.

HikeNHunter 11-01-2006 12:59 AM

Sure we all make mistakes. No doubt some people do think they are perfect, but not all of us do. I don't believe that MTdrather is a moron jack@$$!!, and I don't think any of us deserve to be called &96$#@#$, either.I don't think that "Dog guys" love ripping on inexperienced pet owners and new trainers, I don't think anyone here thinks he or she is all high and mighty, and I'm sure we all know that soetimes, "STUFF DOE'S INDEED HAPPEN"That being said, my pointwas that this is something that needs to be treated in a serious manner. Kids and adults need to take responsibility for their four legged friends. If a dog who is confined manages to get free and roam the neighborhood and you track him down and attempt to get him back home, that is resposible dog ownership. If your dog is allowed to run at large and with no supervisio, that is irresponsible dog ownership, likewise if your dog is sick and you don't know what to do for him, then taking him to vet is being responsible, not taking him is just being irresponsible. I believe thateveryone should the basic responsibilitys of owning, and caring for any anjmal they plan to keep. I believe that people should learn everything they can about their pets and animals before you get the animal. Your new pet deserves a home where his basic needs will be met and where he will be tended to abd kept safe. I think that the boy needs to be educated before he gets another dog. Hopefully he will have learned from his mistake and he will be more responsible in the future. Sometimes being a little harsh is neccesaryto get your point across. Coddling him doesn't do anything to help him realize the severity of his mistake, a mistake that he must prevent in the future. I hope that he has learned somthing thru all of this so that it will never happen again. Treating this as nonchalanly as some of you seem to want to is wrong. I simply believe that there is a certain prtocol to be followed when you own an animal, and since that animal depends on you for his very existance, then you need to do right by him. And as for you,NEBHNTR, I can honestly say that when I was growing up I never forgot to clean up my dogs crap, nor did I ever forget to feed him. My old man had a rule. The rule was that the animals always ewere tended to before I was allowed to eat. I raised 2 boys with that same rule. Some people might find this to be a little harsh, but damned if it doesn't work.

NEBHNTR 11-01-2006 01:56 AM

IF THERE IS ONE THING WE ALL AGREE WITH IS THAT THIS SHOULDN'T OF HAPPENED. I REALLY DON'T THINK THAT THE KID SHOULD MUCH OF THE BLAME. I THINK MAYBE THE FATHER SHOULD TAKE THE HEAT FOR THIS. HIKENHUNTER YOU MAKE A GOOD POINT ABOUT TEACHING YOUR KIDS RIGHT FROM WRONG AND RESPONSIBILITY, MAYBE IF THIS DAD WOULD OF DONE A BETTER JOB THIS COULD OF BEEN AVOIDED. I DON'T THINK MANY OF US AT THAT AGE WOULD OF CALLED THAT VET IF DAD THOUGHT THE DOG WAS OK AND THEN HOW WOULD YOU GET THE DOG TO THE VET.I'M BETTING HE OR SHE PROBALLY DOESN'T HAVE A DRIVERS LISCENCE AT THAT AGE.

BlueRidgeRetrievers 11-02-2006 02:22 PM

I'm sorry for your loss... It's a terrible thing to lose a dog.

Please, if anything like this ever happens again BEG your parents to take the animal to the vet. If you can't afford to pay the vet ask him if you can clean kennels, sweep up offices, anything. I'm sure most of them will work with you... It breaks my heart that the poor dog laid there alone, all day, to die without a glimmer of hope that someone would help.

:(

MTdrahthaar 11-03-2006 07:40 AM

FYI,
Sounds like they did call the vet and had an made an appointment, so maybe the vet after hearing the symptoms might shoulder a little blame.

trmckinn 11-06-2006 09:05 PM

Sorry for the loss Buddy, but I was wondering if your pup had all of it's shots. This sounds like Parvo, a friend of mine had a mutt that never got it's shots and it suffered from the same symptoms as your dog, but the vet was able to save the dog after my friend spent about $1200.00. If you get another dog in the future you need to always monitor it's behavior and at first sign of something out of the ordinary, the pup needs to go to the vet. When my friend's dog started getting sick, the vet said if it stops eating and starts throwing up then it is too late to cure Parvo. So it is crutial to let the vet knowif your pup's behavior changes.

Also I hope losing your dog doesn't prevent you from getting another one, just remember what you have learned from this. Everybody needs a good dog.

Good Luck,
T.R.

huntnma 11-08-2006 04:05 AM

looks like he learned one of the hardest lessons he's going to learn, at the expense of the his dog. [:'(]....you know he's feeling horrible but i can bet it doesnt happen again....sorry for your loss.....

sproulman 11-08-2006 07:02 AM

ORIGINAL: trmckinn

Sorry for the loss Buddy, but I was wondering if your pup had all of it's shots. This sounds like Parvo, a friend of mine had a mutt that never got it's shots and it suffered from the same symptoms as your dog, but the vet was able to save the dog after my friend spent about $1200.00. If you get another dog in the future you need to always monitor it's behavior and at first sign of something out of the ordinary, the pup needs to go to the vet. When my friend's dog started getting sick, the vet said if it stops eating and starts throwing up then it is too late to cure Parvo. So it is crutial to let the vet knowif your pup's behavior changes.

Also I hope losing your dog doesn't prevent you from getting another one, just remember what you have learned from this. Everybody needs a good dog.

Good Luck,
T.R.
you are right,2 MAJOR causes of young dog dieing is PARVO do to owner not getting his shots,also now LYMES is causing it to if no shots..many will not pay vet bills, so dog dies..

next, RAT POISON,thats bigone..young dogs will eat it..i know, mine did..

last, but not health related,HIT BY CAR..

cowboy4513 11-08-2006 10:12 AM

Very sorry for your lose [&o] i think you might want to do some sleuthing and see if you can find any rat poisen at your neighbors house if there is a brand new box i would say that they deffinatly had something to do with it!