HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   5 month old brittney (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/159238-5-month-old-brittney.html)

10pointhank 10-11-2006 05:48 PM

5 month old brittney

i have a 5 month old brittney that i have been working with hes good at most coommands like sit,come,whistle,fetch

but hes just been biteing latly ALOT and i cant break him of it

got any idaes or it just puppy stuff?

thanks

tailcrackin 10-11-2006 06:48 PM

RE: 5 month old brittney

Prolly teething, jonesy

Doc E 10-11-2006 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: tailcrackin

Prolly teething, jonesy
I agree -- get him some pig ears to chew on.

10pointhank 10-11-2006 08:48 PM

yea hes lost all his baby teeth and has his big dog teeth and has had them for awhile

when you go to pet him all he wants to do is naw on my hand

PA GOBBLER 10-12-2006 08:17 PM

i know what your going through, mine is about 16 months old and still does it.

MA Jay 10-13-2006 08:29 AM

Many differ on this, but I feel strongly no dog should ever be allowed to bite, knaw or mouth people.

For a puppy that age it could just as easily be a subtle means of attempting dominance, in fact I would bet it is as dogs don't teeth on hands much.

I find the best way to address this is to when the pup goes to chew on your hand, role the skin of the muzzle between the teeth and your hand and then apply pressure. Do this EVERY time the dog goes to mouth you, and that should fix it in most cases. Some of the real hard headed ones will require a sharp rap on the nose (not to hard) anda stern "no" command every time they go to bite.

For everyone's sake, you don't want your dog to think it can apply teeth pressure to any person.

10pointhank 10-13-2006 08:40 AM

thnaks for the advice!

i have been doing that when i want something back from him but not as much as when he trys to bite.

i wil try it and tell how it works

thanks again

SWOSUMike 10-24-2006 09:36 PM

I guess this might not be the most popular answer, but I say next time the dog bites or even mouths you, get ahold if the scruff of its neck, give it a shake, and growl just like his momma would do. It takes them by surprise and they don't like it, and they learn to stop...hopefully. But just don't let anybody see ya doin' it cause they might think you are a little off upstairs:D. Or you could try a spray bottle mixed 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water and spray the dog right in the nose (not the eyes) when it bites along with a stern, "No bites." That should work, too. You want the dog to be totally alarmed when it bites. Not totally freaked out or scared of you, but you want them to decide they want nothing to do with the response they get from biting, to the point that they stop biting.You will get it, a dog that age is still probaby just feeling out the way life is going to be, so you just have to show them how it is going to be. Good luck. My male dog was the worst about this as a young puppy, but now he wouldn't bite you probably for anything. Now it's different with squirrels:D

Doc E 10-25-2006 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: 10pointhank

yea hes lost all his baby teeth and has his big dog teeth and has had them for awhile

when you go to pet him all he wants to do is naw on my hand
So in your original post, you said the dog is biting -- now you say he is gnawing. Which is it? How much pressure is the dog putting on your hand with it's teeth?
Are you planning to Force Fetch?

10pointhank 10-25-2006 10:08 PM

some times it will hurt sometimes it wont i think hes just testing his limits.......damn hes stubborn