Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

chessie or lab?

Old 10-18-2006, 08:35 AM

Default RE: chessie or lab?

THE GOLDENS ARE BEAUTIFUL DOGS IVE NEVER OWNED ONE MYSELF ,WE HAVE SO MANY CUCKLEBURRS DOWN HERE THERE LONG HAIR WOULD BE A MESS.THANKS...
Old 10-18-2006, 08:36 AM

My original discussion with tatonka seems to have been removed from this thread for some reason. Thats a shame, there was some polite and intelligent opinions offered from myself and tatonka in that discussion. Anyway.... I do understand where people have the idea that chessys are aggresive. At one time the breed was somewhat known for that, but as tatonka said in our last discussion good breeding has done well at solving that problem. In small town areas with mostly backyard breeders such as where I live it is very possible and much more likely to come out with a protective & territorial chessy (not unwarranted aggresion by the way). However like most chessy supporters have been saying as long as one does there homework and research of lines it should not at all be a problem to find a teddy bear chessy. Poor consumer practices can easily result in a bad seed from any breed. I would recommendthe lab for a beginner. Again, be sure toknow the line your buying into there has beena whole lot over breeding with labs. Big $$$ does NOT gaurantee a good dog. Heres a pic of the lab I have now. 20 months, 95lbs, great temperment, good natural hunter & bed hog spent $300.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: swamp rooster

THE GOLDENS ARE BEAUTIFUL DOGS IVE NEVER OWNED ONE MYSELF ,WE HAVE SO MANY CUCKLEBURRS DOWN HERE THERE LONG HAIR WOULD BE A MESS.THANKS...
Still haven't found the Caps Lock key, huh?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:54 PM

Well Ive owned both. Currently I have two black labs, one I trained to the Master Hunter level the other I adopted. I had a Chessie as the first dog I ever trained. I was 14 and he was a Christmas present. All in all he was an awesome dog. He had specific Chessie faults though, I have friends who have them now and they are very similar to my original chessie. First most males are very agressive towards other dogs, they are a very dominant dog. Mine would bully other dogs into fighting but not attack first, he was a very TOUGH dog, severly injury several dogs including a young pitbull that he almost killed. He would hunt all day without complaining but it had to be on his terms I COULD NOT force him into situations that he didnt want to be in, he would quit me (very common Chessie traight). Also he was very single owner oriented, he would listen to only me and my dad, he absolutely loved the whole family but he would only take discipline from me and dad. He was very quirky he would pile junk into a big pile and lay on it and guard everything away from "his" pile (very common chessie traight) he was fiercly protective of our property, you had to ****** people into the house if he was outside.I have thought about another one at times, but the biggest downfall to me right now is that they are really an outside dog, there coat is double layered and the hair can be ugly, not only that they have a very oily coat that doesnt mix well with carpets ect..... and they stink because of it. Another factor is that I dont like how the current breeding is going on Chessies, they are either short and stocky like English dogs, or skinny and lanky like field trial dogs, I think Chessies should be bred like they were originally meant to be, stout, somewhat tall, with great big barrel chests. There is a guy in Idaho named Butch Goodwin who is doing a fairly decent job on some of his breedings (depends on the litter) my old chessie looked like a pitbull on steroids, he was incredibly athletic, could jump a four foot fence flat footed. He came from Thunder River Kennels in Wisconsin, his great Grandpa was the lengedary Aluetian Surfbreaker. Thunder River is long gone now, this was 25 years ago. I think for 99% of the people out there labs are probably the best choice. My current male is awesome, I looked long and hard for him, he is fairly tall, barrel chested, slim in the rear, thick tail, double coatedwith a block head and he is a pure athlete, he has been a dream to train. He spent last year on a very famous bird operation in Idaho, after my season was over here in Montana and he performed impeccably for a number of different guides and hunters. Hard to beat a good black lab. Hard to find though takes lots of research.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:51 AM

Great looking dog south county hes pretty and big i like them stout dogs
Old 10-19-2006, 05:55 AM

LIKE I TOLD YOU PUNK I DO WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT,IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GREAT.IT SAYS YOUR A BACK DOCTOR BUT I SWEAR IF I WAS THERE YOU WOULD NEED A DENTIST SO QUIT BEING A JIRK..M.F.IN PUNK.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:57 AM

Thats a good story man i enjoyed reading got any pictures of them black beautys..
Old 10-19-2006, 06:00 AM

I would like to say im sorry to everyone for having to get on doce ass. so much but you can see hes a jirk allways.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: swamp rooster

LIKE I TOLD YOU PUNK I DO WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT,IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GREAT.IT SAYS YOUR A BACK DOCTOR BUT I SWEAR IF I WAS THERE YOU WOULD NEED A DENTIST SO QUIT BEING A JIRK..M.F.IN PUNK.
You are so very cool. If you can't beat someone with facts, you resort to physical threats[]. You are definitely "the man"[:'(].

Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 AM

Allways a jerk..remember the dentist...man thats a good name for you ,,lets see how it looks all run together..[ ALLWAYSAJERK E]

Quick Reply: chessie or lab?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.