Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

chessie or lab?

Old 10-16-2006, 05:14 PM

Default RE: chessie or lab?

Doc and Swamp, I think you both are a little over the edge with your claims.

Doc, how many labs do you think there are in this country and how many chessies do you think there are? Nobody knows the real numbers. I am sure the AKC has some numbers of dogs that are registered with them, but those numbers mean nothing. The difference in numbers is staggering I am sure.

Swamp, You are greatly overstating the aggressiveness of the Chessies. To say 95% should be police dogs, come on. Besides, everyone knows the Chessies aren't smart enough to be police dogs.

tatonka makes some good points.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: swamp rooster

1. The nature of retrievers thats all,if you want to talk rotts and pitts go elsewhere.the reason you say chessies arent on your list ,i cant answer that ..

2. The lab is the most popular dog in the nation or not world and its no way there on any list for biteing.. AND AS FAR AS HOW I WANT TO WRITE THIS AND HOW BIG I WANT EM IS MY BUSINESS AND MAYBE SOMEONE NEEDS TO SHOUT AT A FOOL SOMETIME...BUDDY ,,,

3. AND YOUR QOUTE AT THE BOTTOM IS JUST RIGHT FOR YOU..THE FOREVER PART THAT IS ..AND IF YOU REALLY ARE A LAB GUY PLEASE QUIT COMPARING OR BREED TO ROTTS AND PITTS THAT BRINGS OUT THE FIRST PART OF YOUR QUOTE IGNORANT,,
1. I merely replied to your post. In any regard, Labs bite more people than Chessies do. If you did some real research, you could "answer that".

2. Please do a websearch..........You will find out that you are ignorant on the subject. Ignorance can be cured (with study) but stupid is forever (can't learn).

3. Then YOU should do some study and get your facts straight.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

1. Doc and Swamp, I think you both are a little over the edge with your claims.

2. Doc, how many labs do you think there are in this country and how many chessies do you think there are? Nobody knows the real numbers. I am sure the AKC has some numbers of dogs that are registered with them, but those numbers mean nothing.

3. Swamp, You are greatly overstating the aggressiveness of the Chessies. To say 95% should be police dogs, come on. Besides, everyone knows the Chessies aren't smart enough to be police dogs.
1. I can back up my statements with facts...........I'll guarantee you that Swamp can't.

2. I can only go by what is published (in peer reviewed research journals).

3. Swamp don't know nuthin.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:25 PM

All I can say is that if you went to my dog box and ran your hand inside with my dogs you probably needsomepsychotropic drug intervention for doing it in the first place.

Seriously, any dog can bite, lab or otherwise. Just like any horse can buck, bite, or kick.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc E

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

1. Doc and Swamp, I think you both are a little over the edge with your claims.

2. Doc, how many labs do you think there are in this country and how many chessies do you think there are? Nobody knows the real numbers. I am sure the AKC has some numbers of dogs that are registered with them, but those numbers mean nothing.

3. Swamp, You are greatly overstating the aggressiveness of the Chessies. To say 95% should be police dogs, come on. Besides, everyone knows the Chessies aren't smart enough to be police dogs.
1. I can back up my statements with facts...........I'll guarantee you that Swamp can't.

2. I can only go by what is published (in peer reviewed research journals).

3. Swamp don't know nuthin.

Doc, your statement may very well be fact, but that in itself doesn't mean a whole lot.

In a quick search, I found that in 2004, the Lab was the most popular breed, with 146,692 registered with the AKC. Golden Retriever was second with 52,550. At number 10 was Chihuahua with 24,850. I assume Chessies are way down the list from that.

These are only dogs that were registered. Factor in all the ones that aren't and the mixes with labs and it is no wonder that they have more bites per year than any other dog.

Can't we do without calling people stupid?
Old 10-17-2006, 05:03 AM

NO IVE SEEN SOME VERY SMART CHESSIES WE NEVER DISCUSSED THERE SENCE LIKE ANY BREED YOU HAVE SOME DUMB ONES AND SMART ONES. JUST TEMPERMENT THATS ALL.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:46 AM

NO WEBSEARCH,DONE A VET SEARCH ASK 10 VETS TO PUT TOP RETRIEVER BREEDS ON A LIST .OK THEN ASK HIM WHICH ONE IS MOST LIKELY TO HAVE AN AGGRESSIVE TRAIT.SO YOU KNOW WHICH ONE HE PICKED RIGHT..RESEARCH YOUR CHESSIES AND YOULL FIND THEY WERE BRED FOR RETRIEVEING IN ROUGH WATER VERY VERY FRIDGID CONDITIONS SO THEY HAD TO BE TOUGH AS BARN NAILS NOT AFRAID TO RISK ANYTHING TO MAKE A RETRIEVE,THIS WAS THE MARKET HUNTING DAYS WHERE PEOPLE MADE A LIVING SELLING DUCKS AND GEESE.THERE FOR WHEN THEY LEFT THE BOATS AT NIGHT THESE DOGS HAD TO STAY AND GAURD THE BIRDS ..THE ONLY WAY YOU WERE GETING THOSE BIRDS WAS TO KILL THE DOG.ALTHOUGHT THIS WAS MANY GENERATIONS BACK WE CAN STILL SEE THIS TRAIT IN SOME GENERATIONS OF CHESSIES ..IT WAS LESS THAN 5000 CHESSIE PUPS REG IN ANY GIVEIN YEAR AND THE LAB AT A WHOPPING OVER A 100.000 ITS EASY TO SEE ITS NOT A LOT OF CHESSIE BREEDING GOING ON SO IT DONT GET THE TRAIT BRED OUT AS QUICK.AND YOU CAN HAVE A BAD DOG IN ANY BREED ITS TRUE.WHAT EVER PUP YOU DECIDE ON JUST TRY YOUR BEST AND BE PATIENT WITH IT YOULL PROBABLY BE FINE,IF HE GOT A BAD GENE YOULL SEE IT .. AND FOR MY FRIEND DOC E YOU HAVE A PROBLEM UP THERE WITH YOUR TEMPERMENT SO NEXT TIME IM IN YOUR AREA I LOOK FOWARD TO MEETING WITH YOU TO WORK THIS STUPID AND IGNORENCE PROBLEM OUT OF YA..
Old 10-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

I suspect a lot of problems we see with various breeds is a geographic/regional type of thing. What happens is that people start breeding dogs in an area and if there is a problem, it remains a problem because they don't go to another line somewhere else to eliminate the problem. There is a tremendous amount of "backyard" breeding that goes on. For every litter bred by someone who is experienced and knowledgeable, there are 50 litters (I have no idea how many....I just tossed out a number there) that are created by people who don't have a clue what they're doing. I can look in the newspaper any day of the week and find a litter of Labs for sale. In the spring I would estimate there are 4 or 5 litters for sale every week. Prices range from $200 to $500 per pup from what I've seen. If you go to a Retriever magazine and look at pups from the breeders who are serious and know what they are doing, they'll be selling for $600 and up and many will be $1,000 or more. It takes money to breed quality dogs.... OFA, CERF exams, Stud Fees for top quality dogs, etc. are not cheap. You just cannot afford to produce a quality litter of pups these days and sell them for $200, but that's what's happening and that's why we see so many health problems, temperament problems, etc.

I've used Labs here for illustration purposes.....I'm not picking on Labs. They're great dogs. I've seen the same thing happen with Goldens and to a lesser extent Chessies and probably only because there just aren't that many Chessies around compared to labs and Goldens.

The bottom line is (getting back to the original question in this post), regardless of whether you get a Lab or a Chessie, do your research and go with a breeder who knows what he's doing. If you do that, you'll have very good odds of getting a nice pup regardless of what breed you go with.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:19 AM

Very well put tonka it was a pleasure reading that .It sounds like you have been there and done that too.very very good points ..thanks see ya
Old 10-18-2006, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Too illustrate Tatonka point, I've own a goldie (actually my sister's dog). The dog was advertised as a great hunter from field/show lines but my sister, who cared nothing for hunting, went and purchased this dog on looks. This dog ended up a bust for hunting. Hard-headed, wouldn't stay seated, would always run off to another blind to greet people. I tried pheasants and ended up with two dead mice. Didn't range at all kept to my side or behind me. The best advice would be make sure you do your homework then re-check it again.

Quick Reply: chessie or lab?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.