Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

chessie or lab?

Old 09-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: chessie or lab?

Sounds like you're wanting to try a Chessie, if my esp is working right.

I dont know where you live, but just be careful in your search. If you have any questions, drop me an e-mail.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:05 PM

i live in central minnesota where the season is fairly long and brutal. the season starts with temps in the mid 40's to mid 60's and ends with temps from below zero to the mid 40's.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:43 PM

IM A BLACK LAB MAN,,,GOOD TEMPPERMENT WITH EVERYONE INCLUDING KIDS IF THAT MATTERS WITH YOU.CHESSIES ARE OK ,LITTLE AGGRESSIVE MOST OF THE TIME ,THERE WHAT YOU CALL A ONE MAN DOG .THEY WERE ORIGINALY BRED TO HUNT AND GAURD THE BOATS OVER NIGHT IN THE MARKET HUNTING DAYS.THERE KNOWN FOR BITING TRAINERS AND KIDS ANYBODY ELSE THATS AROUND WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE BITING.NOW SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE A GREAT NICE CHESSIE THATS GOOD .THE OTHER 95 PERCENT SHOULD BE USED FOR POLICE DOGS AND GAURD DOGS AND NEVER IN THE SAME SENTENCE WITH OUR LABS..PS I HAD ONE OF OUR TRAINERS PULLED TO THE GROUND BY A BIG CHESSIE AND CHEWED UP BAD BEFORE WE COULD GET HIM OFF,,I WAS AT A SANCTIONED FIELDTRIAL HUNT WHEN A BIB CHESSIE PULLED A 8 YEAR OLD BOY OFF HIS BIKE AND SEVERLY CHEWED HIM UP,AND THE KID LIVED THERE.THE DOG WAS JUST THERE TO RUN THE COURSE THAT DAY,ITS JUST TOO MUCH RISK ENVOLVED IN OWNING A DOG LIKE THAT.THERE ARE ONLY A COUPLE BREEDS THAT DO ALL THE REPORTED ATTACKS AND THIS IS ONE OF THEM.DONT MEAN TO HURT ANY FEELINGS OUT THERE ,,,MY 2 CENTS
Old 10-13-2006, 09:37 AM

In reply to Swamp rooster. I raised labs for about 30 years and will always have a soft place in my heart for them but had to reply to sime false info that you are diseminating. Most labs are very accomodating loving dogs but they are not all that way. I have seen them turn on handlers and others also. The popularity of labs I believe has now become a hindrance to the breed. Too many indiscriminate backyard breeders are just throwing a couple of "black dogs" together and trying to cut a fat hog with the hype of labs are best. I had a chessie about 50 years ago and he was a tough ornery hombre. Since I have quit raising labs myself I had two that I paid good money for and neither had a coat that will take the weather I hunt inso I cut my losses and dumped both for pets and got a Chessie. The first that I had a male was easy to train and go od at breaking ice without a life preserver that I see so often on labs nowadays. Due to a health problem I had to put him down. I now have a little Chessie bitch (90lbs) and she has the best nose I have ever seen on a retriever and she is as sweet and gentle as any laqb I ever had. The point of all this is don't knock another breed unless you have personal experience with breed and not just with one dog. Sorry I am a little long winded but I just wanted to clear this up a bit. My Chessie just spent the last two days breaking ice and retrieved 30 ducks and 6 geese was coated with ice most of the days and when my little grand kids are over later today they will be hugging and playing with her also
Old 10-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Believe it or not, the Labrador is #1 on the list of dog bites. Other dogs are higher up on the list as far as severity of the injuries, but as far as the total number of dog bites reported, Labs are #1.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:19 AM

PAY ATTENTION LIKE I SAID IN LINE 4 ALL CHESSIES ARE NOT BAD ,AND IF I DIDNT HAVE EXSPERENCE I WOULDNT OF WROTE THAT **** AND NOTHING WAS SAID ABOUT BREAKIN ICE OR TAKING THE COLD,SO PAY ATTENTION FELLA.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:40 AM

I HAVE NEVER IN ALL MY YEARS OF TALKING DOGS OR DEALING WITH DOGS HEARD SOMETHING SO CRAZY IN ALL MY LIFE AS TO WHAT YOU JUST SAID,IF THAT WAS THE CASE DO THINK I WOULD OF WASTED MY TIME POSTING THAT .. THE LAB ON A BITE LIST YOU WILL NEVER GET ME OR ANYONE TO BELIEVE THAT S###..GO TO SOME TRIALS AS YOU WALK BY ALL THE TRUCKS WITH LABS AND CHESSIES RUN YOUR HAND UP IN THE BOX WITH THEM AND SEE WHAT PERCENTAGE OF DOG GIVES YOU THE MOST STITCHES THEN YOULL PROBABLY COME OUT A SMARTER FELLA. HEY THAT WOULD BE A GOOD CURE FOR FIXIN STUPID..
Old 10-16-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

SwampRooster,
Do some real research buddy -- touching vehicles at FTs is not real scientific. ( I mean, how many different breeds are normally present at Trials or Tests?)
The top two breeds in orderin fatal attacks are the Pit Bull and Rottie.
The top five breeds in order forsevere injuries are Pit Bulls, Rotties, German Shep, Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes.
The top five breeds for total number of dog bites, in orderare Labradors, German Sheps, Rotties, Chow Chow and Akita.
Do you notice that Chessies are not on any of those lists?
I'm a Lab guy too, but facts are facts.

And another piece of advice.................Look down at the lower left side of your keyboard --------- see the key caled "Caps Lock"? Give it a tap will ya -- and quit shouting.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:32 AM

your giving advice on paying attention.where in my first post did i say anything about pitbulls, rotts, shepherds or chows.we were talking retrievers..The nature of retrievers thats all,if you want to talk rotts and pitts go elsewhere.the reason you say chessies arent on your list ,i cant answer that ..the guy was wanting a retriever and i gave him my honest oppinion about the two.But hunting with diffrerent people with kids everyday .with crowded boat ramps and boat loads of hunters, the risk factor is high the chessie likes his space and a big percentage of them dont like crowded places and are good at making room....And sure they can take the cold and hunt like nobodys buisness.they can be fine hunters and chompers.The lab is the most popular dog in the nation or not world and its no way there on any list for biteing.. AND AS FAR AS HOW I WANT TO WRITE THIS AND HOW BIG I WANT EM IS MY BUSINESS AND MAYBE SOMEONE NEEDS TO SHOUT AT A FOOL SOMETIME...BUDDY ,,,AND YOUR QOUTE AT THE BOTTOM IS JUST RIGHT FOR YOU..THE FOREVER PART THAT IS ..AND IF YOU REALLY ARE A LAB GUY PLEASE QUIT COMPARING OR BREED TO ROTTS AND PITTS THAT BRINGS OUT THE FIRST PART OF YOUR QUOTE IGNORANT,,
Old 10-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

People get themselves into trouble whenever generalizations are tossed around. You just can't say Chessies are aggressive and Labs aren't, or vice versa. All breeds have the good and bad and it comes down to a well bred dog that is socialized and trained properly. A Chessie from the right breeding that is socialized and trained properly is no more aggressive than a Lab, German Shorthair, Golden, etc. that is from top lines and socialized and trained correctly.

We tend to base our opinions on a couple of incidents that we either see or hear about and after that use those experiences to judge all dogs within a breed. That and we perpetuate things that we've read without actually seeing those things first hand to verify if what we read is true or not. We are all guilty of it, and it's wrong. I breed Chessies and I keep in touch with the people who get pups from me. I have yet to have one person come back and say their dog is aggressive, possessive, or anything close to that. Not one, but I'm a stickler for temperament. I absolutely will not own an ill tempered dog...I won't have one on my place.

Golden Retrievers have the reputation for having wonderful temperaments, but I've seen two that should have been put down. They were the meanest, ugliest dogs you'd ever want to see. There is a Lab in our town right now that has bitten 3 kids.....don't ask me why the dog is still alive......there's a huge controversy going on over it.There's another lab that a local farmer owns thatI would never turn my back on.....if I stop to visit and the dog is loose, I won't get out of my truck until they come out and have control of him. Now, based on what I've seen I could easily say that Goldens and Labs have some temperament problems, but I've been in this game long enough to know different.

Chastise an individual dog within any breed if you want to, but to chastise an entire breed based on a few personal experiences is rediculous.

Quick Reply: chessie or lab?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.