Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Best Pointer To Start With???? >

Best Pointer To Start With????

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Best Pointer To Start With????

Old 09-21-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Best Pointer To Start With????

Even with the lack of bird hunting in my area I have really been considering a pointer pup. I would be new to the game of training a pointer. Basically a decent pup would already know more than me. I have done the basics with a couple labs (for waterfowl)both of which grew into good ole boy hunting companions. Just wondering which breed of pointer would be best to start with
Old 09-21-2006, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Best Pointer To Start With????

Or setter... even spaniel... ???
Old 09-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is a tough one as most of us all favor different style of game bird
dogs and hunt different types of areas. So we all like to hunt in a way
thatis consistent with the environment we hunt them in. As well as
the type of birds we will be hunting. But if you could get one that is all
trained and someone to teach you the ropes of it would be of great help
to you. If not get some cds and see how they hunt with them, and a few
different types of dogs. Also once you get an idea of what you want
see if you can find someone with that type of dog to show you how it
hunts. Or any other info you may need, as the care the dog will need to
help keep him healthy and ect. Good Luck.

I also see you are new to the forums so welcome to the forums.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I favor the German and Spanish Short Hair Pointers, but many in my family have had BritneySpringers for years.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Typical Buck

It would really help us if you told us what type of birds you are interested in hunting, what kind of terrain, and where you're from (which might dictate terrain). If we at least know this much then some of us might be able to narrow down your possibilities.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:08 PM

Sorry for not responding. It was a very busy weekend. I hope I did not lose your attention.Let me start by saying thatI am definitly aware of the amount of work and dedication required. This will obviously be process.It will be at least 2 more seasons before I plan to purchase a pup.I have read a number of books on training labs they have defintly been helpful. Are there any books or DVDs that you would recomend? I do know a couple of bird hunters in my area and will be leaning on them for help.
Our area is flat wet terrain. I would mostly be hunting turn rows & wooded edges. The most common bird would be quail. I hunt for the fun morethan the success. Which is why I do not purchase trained dogs or have someone else do the training for me. That is most of the fun. I'm not looking for or expecting a champ in my 1st dogs. Just a good time with some hunting and whole lot of learning. So, any recommendations on breeds or books. I'm looking for a dog thats obviously well suited for the terrain and game. In my experience both labs and chesapeakes are great hunters. However I would definitly recommend a lab for the beginer for the tempermant and eagerness please. While a chessy is a great retriever they tend to have a mind of their own at times. Any comparisons????
Old 09-27-2006, 07:25 AM

The Pointing breeds, in my opinion, are actually easier to train to "huntable" than almost any retriever. Some may argue that point, but getting a lab or chessie to be controlled in a blind or boat and retrieve on command is harder. The reason is that any good bloodlined hunting "pointer" will by instict know much of what you expect in a hunter. I say "hunter" not field trial champion!

As far asPointers easy to trainBrittany'swould be near the top of my list, followed by Setter's and thenGerman Shorthairs. I know there are lots more breeds, but those are the onesI know well. All breeds are capable of producing a gem of a dog, or a flat out bust. Brit's are sensitive dogs by nature and tend to want to hunt for you, vs hunt for the love of hunting. That ofcourse is a generality and varies by dog.

In my experience the most important thing totrain with a pointer is CONTROL. They come with the great nose and legs to run, but if you don't train control they can make a day in the field real frustrating.

Good luck! I am always impressed with a good retriever but the upland dog is so much more part of the actual hunt that I feel the "hunting" bond can be even stronger with a pointer/flusherthanwith a retriever.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I find the setters easy to train also and pointing on instict is
natural to any well breed setter also. I like the Irish and could
not have found a more suited dog for my needs. Long legged
and fast comes with them. When trained right the only thing
they want to do is make you happy. I hunt mine in the woods
up here. Be it an alder swail, thick sapplings,or in the woods
under some hardwood trees to softwoodtrees. They are full
of energy and just can't wait to hunt. Sometimes a mind of
their own when wanting to play, but, when scenting a bird
it is all buisness. The sad thing is they are hard to get and
comes with a price tag. I had one litter of pups a year ago and
one of those pups was sold about ten miles from here. I ask him
if he liked her and if I could buy here back. The answer was you
couldn't buy her for a million dollars. Now he has hunted and owned
the pointer and a golden retreiver and raised a few others. He stated
that this one was the easiest he had ever trained. But, again whatever
you want is what you want. Just make sure you do your homework to
find what you are looking for and of course the breeder is checked into
thouroghly. Good Luck to you.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:22 PM

Thank you for your help. 2 out of the 3 bird hunters I know used and/or use Brittanys the other german short hair. A good friend of mine's father who comes from a long background of bird hunting had1 setter out of a couple ger. shortsand claimed it was the best dog he had ever seen and definitly the best he ever had. But, as Phil said they are hard to come by and on the expensive side.I will definitly startresearching those 3. Thanks again
Old 09-27-2006, 06:32 PM

I need to get a pic of my lab on here. Just turned 19 months. Can't wait to get him on the hunt again this year. I never expect them to catch on 110% until their 3rd. But I know this, his 2nd will be a fun one. He had afew easy retrieves last year at about 10 - 12 months even a couple geese after a lot of thought on his part. The geesehave just started to fly now and again here and he definitly remembers what those honks mean!!!

Quick Reply: Best Pointer To Start With????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.