HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   English Setter or German Shorthair? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/155822-english-setter-german-shorthair.html)

Monie 09-11-2006 11:46 AM

English Setter or German Shorthair?

If you had to pick one which would it be? I've been wanting a good bird dog, but can't decide which.

I live in Indiana.. The areas I hunt can be pretty thick and full of burrs...so I thought German Shorthair. My dad's side had a great German Shorthair named Benny. When you raised your gun, he'd get behind you and anxiously wait for you to shoot. On the ohter hand, it gets freakin' cold here, and I don't mind pulling out burrs. My mom's side had several English Setters. Great bird dogs,
So, what do you guys think?

MA Jay 09-11-2006 12:39 PM

RE: English Setter or German Shorthair?

Monie-

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with well bred dogs of either breed. I have owned quite a few GSP and all of them were first rate bird dogs. Most were also very good family dogs. I have never owned a Setter but will soon, as they hold a certain allure for me. I have hunted with some real good Setters.

Some real "general" thoughts to consider between the dogs based purely on my own experience.

GSP's, at least all of mine, really benefited from a committed exercise program. If you don't care to allow/take a dog to run, and run hard, every day or at the least every other day than a good GSP may appear "hyper" for want of exercise. I have found Setters to be ok with a slightly less intensive exercise regiment than GSP.

Hair... GSP's are so easy to keep clean, Setter's require real work and effort. You will spend at least 30 to 45 minutes after a hunt cleaning that Setter's coat. GSP's almost never burr up.

Setter's typically, and this is a HUGE generality, are slightly more affectionate family members than GSP's. I have owned some real loveyGSP's, but they all were not that way. The best seemed to consider themselves close buddies/companions. I know some Setters who think they are children, and seem to tend to be more sensitive. Like I said, generally speaking! It always depends on the dog.

They both can flat out huunt if they come from great lines.

I highly recommend seeing breeders of both types of dogs and seeing which ones you "connect" with best.

I hope you get one of these 2 breeds, they are my favorite 2 pointing breeds.

CDover 09-11-2006 08:06 PM

Well I love my GSP...but have hunted behind some great setters as well....

Mite 09-12-2006 03:12 AM

You should get a dog that suits you. Both breeds are fairly close in hunting ability and you really can't go wrong with either breed. I've owned setters and my next favorite dog is the english pointer. They have something the GSP does not, a tail. So, you can see the difference is trivial. Here are some things to keep in mind:

1. a setter hair length besides the feathering is 1.5 inches. It's not a nightmare as everyone thinks. 5-10 mins with a brush and a pair of sisscors for those tough burs in their feathering. I trimmed it on my dog.

2. Pedigree. Long subject. When talking GSPs, most owners tend to talk about field ability. It is essential, when getting a GSP, to do your homework. There are bench lines of GSP breeding because of the popularity of the breed. I saw a GSP the other day that looked mixed w/ pitbull terrier blood but the owner said it was pure. It was a large gangly dog with eyes wide apart. Definitely a show dog.Make sure you get one from hunting lines. With setters (field), owners tend to talk pedigree. The majority, I believe, are registered with FDSB. FDSB is a registry of field trial dogs. Not all field trials are bad. Their offspring has given us many many good hunting dogs. So, your chances are high that if you do get a FDSB registered dog, the dog will have bird drive. Range is another story and manners are taught (backing, staunchness, etc).

3. Setters are not natural retrievers.

You really can't go wrong with either. I love setters because of their stylish point and they have a long history in bird hunting. Its a small distinction.

Monie 09-12-2006 06:56 PM

Thanks for the great info.

rcgerchow 09-12-2006 08:40 PM

It's a hard choice and really depends on how you connect with the dog as someone said and also what type of hunting you will be doing. I raised shorthairs and they are truly great dogs, I had one female that was the 1989 S.E. Michigan pheasant champ and she hunted everything. We hunted her and her pups on everything, woodcock, gouse, pheasants and even used GSP's to retreive from a duck blind. They slept in the house with the kids and were great indoor dogs. When she had her pups though I almost traded one pup for a beautiful orange and white setter pup. See even if you raise them it's hard to make that decision.

Rich Baker 09-13-2006 05:43 AM

Id go with a German Wire hair if I were you. But then Im kooky that way:D

NEBHNTR 09-15-2006 01:41 AM

I have hadvery good success with my GSP and would recommend to everyone. Jay is right about being family dog. We got lucky cause ours is like a kid, but a couple others i know are not good family dogs at all (they hunt very well thought). Anotherthought about the temp, i usually hunt mine in cold weather and she does great and it never bothers her. They do need a good run everyday or they can be a pain.

Good luck

Phil from Maine 09-15-2006 03:47 AM

I agree with Mite, the tail and stylish point as well as the ability
that they have to hunt. I also agree that with any bird dog you
have to check them out good. I am mixed on the retreiving part though
as for mine it came natural. They absolutely love to retreive.

NEBHNTR 09-15-2006 04:08 AM

My uncle had a english setter for 13 yrs and it was a great hunting dog! The retreiving came natural for her also. She had one of the most beautiful points I have ever seen. Phil is right they do love to retreive.