Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New Lab

Old 09-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Lab

Hey fellas
I am thinkning about getting a lab for duck hunting, this will be my second season and now having a house and a yard i have the room for one to live.. how hard are labs to train for duck hunting and what do i need to be looking out for in buying one
Old 09-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Lab

Labs are great dogs!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Gave a reply in the Waterfowl forum...
Old 09-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Typical Buck

This is what I did and I got a great dog for my trouble. first thing is get the 2 vidieos called the ABC of retrver training part 1 and 2. watch them then go pick out a puppy. follow the tap step by step. and 9 monthes later you'll have a dog in the blind you will be very proud of. It works I told my buddy this also because he was so impressed with my dog. Gave him the tapes and he now has a great dog also.

Im sure everyone will have there own adviceon what tape to use but this one was easy for a beginner to use and you won't believe the results.

Side note : Get a chip in your dog ear. Last season after we hunted a WMA we stopped off at the Decoy Tavern to get lunch my dog was in the kennel in the back of the truck and was stolen. the kennel and all. I think I know who took him because when we were loading up the decoys in the truck this guy offered me 1500.00 for him and I said no way. well that day he was taken and I have not seen that guy or my dog since.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rich Baker
Side note : Get a chip in your dog ear.
Chips are implanted under the skin between the dog's shoulder blades.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:15 AM

wow that sucks about your dog No one else caught the license plates of the trucks around? Or a survillance camera? I would hunt the WMA every day and see if the idiot comes back....wow I can't believe there are people like that in this world that would steal someone elses dog.....
Old 09-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

It sucks having your dog stolen. I left my dog with my parents when I moved to Co. I moved and did not have a place to stay and lived in a hotel for a while. When I got a place, I called for my Dog. I was told it's too cold for him! My parents stole my dog and don't even hunt. Damn I miss him. It's like losing your best friend.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:38 AM
Typical Buck

Yea we looked high and low for him but I live close to Portland Oregon and the guy could have been from Washington for all I know. its been awhile now. I just hope he's taking good Care of him. that dog and I were pretty tight.

As for the chip , yea I know it goes under the skin I was thinking of the tattoo . Sorry.

Im looking into getting a pointing lab after season that should be fun
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rich Baker

Im looking into getting a pointing lab after season that should be fun
When you're ready to start looking for a PL litter, let me know and maybe I can steer you in the right direction.

Tatoos should be on the inside of the thigh, not in the ear. Dog theives that sell dogs to laboratories will just cut the ear off of the dog.
Best thing(s) to do would be a chip and a tatoo inside the thigh.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:37 PM

Chips are an undisputable way to go but one thing to know is that the chips float under the skin and will move from the shoulder blade area. My chocolate female's chip is now in her chest area...my suggestion is to use a chip and a tattoo on the belly area, also have a collar made up with your name, address and phone number on it. Don't put the dog's name on the collar, you don't want someone else to know your dog's name and be able to command it by name...the purpose is to call you when the animal is found.