Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Perfect dog

Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Spike

Smile Great Dogs - Pudels

I now own my second Pudel Pointer. Have owned a lot of dogs over the years of different breeds. Pudel's are the Best. I own one of Cabin Creek's Pudell Pointers, she is a great dog, just like my first Pudel.
I searched for a long time when I selected my first Pudel. After looking at all the versatile breeds, I chose a Pudel for the following characteristics: hunt everything, great drive to hunt, easy to train, responsive to gentile efforts – no need for heavy handed efforts, naturally well behaved, little to no shedding, great personality and loving nature, hypoallergenic, and most importantly a dog which will settle down fairly quickly in the house. Everyone single Pudel I have seen has met these characteristics.
Pudel’s may not be the best dog at anyone type of hunting but they are great across the board. Not the strong swimmer of a Lab, nor the great range for a pointer/setter, but always gets the job done. Have hunted with a number of German Shorthair Pointers, Pudel’s do it all well. Better in the cool weather of the Duck or Goose Blinds, than most if not all the versatiles. Plus they seem to be much more relaxed than any of them.
My hunting partner a most demanding and precise individual, selected a Pudel as well after hunting a number of years behind my first one. He couldn’t be happier with his choice as well, from Cabin Creek Pudell Pointers. Know this sounds like a strong recommendation for Cabin Creek which are great folks, but have to say everyone I have met who raise or train Pudels have been wonderful folks. Maybe it says something about the people behind the breed.
Try one you wouldn’t be sorry.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Perfect dog.

I like a dog that comes when he's called, and has an off switch.

ATB
Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

I have viewed a few Puddle pointers working and they were enjoyable to watch. The perfect dog is what fits your style. the other is trained. Here is/are my perfect dogs:
My Young Pup Eli on Point:

Eli Retrieving a Mallard:

Max my older dog on Point:

Max Retrieving a Swan: