Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Yeller Dog Locked Up

Old 06-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yeller Dog Locked Up

I guess he has never read anything about Tank hah ?

LOL...or Casey...or 1000's of other pointing Lab's
Old 06-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ccm352

Labs are flushers not pointers!!!!!

My lab goes into a half assed trance when it locks onto a pheasant in the high grass until I tell him to "get him". I didnt train him to do that. He just did that instinctively
ccm,
I can't actually tell if your post was serious or a joke (because of the ) and the fact that your dog locks on pheasants. . . . . . . .
Which is it?

Anyway, Labradors are neither pointers or flushers ..... Labs are retrievers. Some (most) Labs flush and some (a few) point. The fact that some point is due to some ancestral genes. The original Labs were developed from some now-extinct dogs, namely the St. John's Water dog and a couple of breeds of pointers.
In the past, because of the development of speciality Pointing Breeds, the few Labs that pointed were largely ignored in favor of the pointing breeds. More recently (within the last 20 years or so) Labs that Point have comeinto favor and are being selectively bred for the pointing trait. All of the goodbreeders of PLs are making sure that all of the traits for which Labs are famous are being retained -- and not diluted just in favor of the Point.

Most PLs (like most traditional pointing breeds) start pointing at variable ages, and once they start, they often point at nearly everything that they think should be pointed.........and their style usually isn't very pretty. As they become more experienced, they learn when to point and when not to........and they become more stylish (start crouching - muscles tense etc). Although they are never as stylish as a pointing breed dog, and as I mentioned, because a Lab's tail is an integral part of their swimming abilities, most Labs point with their tails at 8 o'clock to 10 o'clock.

Pointing Labs do everything that Labs are famous for and they just happen to point instead of flush.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

good post Doc
Old 06-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA GOBBLER

good post Doc

Old 06-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Great post doc. I have a black female that also points. And along with two english pointers. (they also point LOL!)
Old 06-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Beautiful.