Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

problems with dog

Old 05-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: problems with dog

Just like Doc...I'd recomend "10 Minute Retriver"

Take Jonsey up on his offer....give him a call....!!!

Go to http://dobbsdogs.com/ when you get on the site...go to "Dobb's Library"...then click on "Retriver's"

Doc...Does Evan Ghram have any CD's out yet on started training?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can't train a dog if all you use is a book, but you can do the majority of it. When you run into problems, just ask here on the forum.

For a novice trainer, I'd still use "10 Minute Retriever" as your guide. The "Smartwork" series of 3 books is some of the best stuff there is, but it can be intimidating and a bit over the head for a novice trainer.

Another suggestion I have would be to join a Retriever Club. There are 4 NAHRA Clubs in PA. Go to www.nahra.org/ and click on "Regions & Clubs" then click on Pennsylvania for a list of them and contact information. You will find that there will be tons of folks who will be happy to help you train. The clubs will also have training days, where you can participate (usually free if you are a member -- and membership is usually very cheap.

Wayne,
Evan Graham (author of Smartwork for Retrievers, Smartwork II and Smartfetch) has one DVD out so far. It's called "Smartwork Obedience". It might be just what is needed in this case. Go to www.rushcreekpress.com/ .

Old 05-31-2006, 08:06 AM

There is also the one by Jackie Mertens, for young dog stuff.....like you say doc, cant train from a book, what I dont like with the books...the dont give a watch for section!The amatuers, always miss that chapter. Dobbs I don't like could tell ya a pretty good one on them that happened # of years ago, down in southern Georgia, few country boys set them straight on the platform and ecollar stuff, had them speech less, pretty funny. Later guys, gotta head to the water, Cya Jonesy
Old 05-31-2006, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tailcrackin

There is also the one by Jackie Mertens, for young dog stuff..... Cya Jonesy
Yup -- although I've never seen it, I have heard nothing but raving reviews about Jackie Mertens "Sound Beginnings".

Old 05-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

You can't train a dog if all you use is a book
You can if you roll it up and whack 'em on the nose.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

i have a yellowlab that is about 18 months old and he is starting to come around with his training. im not a pro at training but i have asked a lot of questions on the forums. you will get a lot of help on here. your pup needs to be started with simple commands such as sit, stay, and come. use a check cord to teach it to listen in the field. dont try to over train your dog at such a young age. its still a pup and wants to play. make training fun and use short periods so not to make the dog tired or bored. im from Pa too. down near Indiana. good luck with your pup.