HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Pudelpointer... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/139796-pudelpointer.html)

mustad 04-16-2006 07:51 AM

Pudelpointer...

Do you have any experience with this breed? Where do you think they fall in the world of a versatile dog (upland game, furred game, waterfowl, bloodtracking)? What would you say are their strengths and weaknesses?

Cheers,

AlaskaMagnum 04-17-2006 07:37 AM

RE: Pudelpointer...

Mustad,

I have seen a few but never owned one. They are very nice dogs, excellent upland dogs with stylish points, good retrievers. The ones I have seen are also sweet dogs, not sharp at all.

Weaknesses would have to be the coat (a lot of variation among them as far as I can see) so getting the correct coat could be more of a gamble. The other negative is price, they don't come cheap, and you will probably have to wait a year or more for a pup.

I have not seen them bloodtrack as all I have seen were NAVHDA dogs and did not have to blood track. I also do not believe they have the fur drive like some other versatiles, but probably have more bird drive.

seadog 04-17-2006 05:12 PM

Don't have too much more to say then what Alaska said other than I know a person who trainedone of his PPs to blood track off lead. Some ofthe PPs that I have seen had goodfur drive .

mustad 04-18-2006 06:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Alaska- Do you have any ideas about the cause of the variability in the coat? Is this variation more due to different breeding practices by Kennels vs specific trait within the dog?

As you know, the VDD has done an excellent job building consistent coat qualities into the DD, primarily through the adherence to strict standards.

In comparison, there are not many PP breeders around in North America. In addition, there is at least one I have found not far from seadog that seems to have identified the problem of availability as a possible advantage and is pumping out big numbers of pups. In many cases, these pups are coming from dogs that have not gone through any tests. I believe this is a violation of the PP breeding practices, but is not currently being enforced.

It would, hypethetically, be a DD breeder selling registered DD's from a combo of sire and dam that have not been deemed breedable within the VDD system.

I think I remember hearing 14+ litters per year being produced from this kennel. The other kennels seem to produce 3 or 4 on average. On the pp website, there are 9 breeders listed. Taking out this specific example (leaving with 8), you are talking about an average of 28 litters being produced per year. I won't bore you with more math, but you see what I'm saying? There is a huge percentage of pups coming out of one kennel. If they aren't controlling the quality of their pups, which I think would be a difficult thing to do with the quantity being produced, it seems to me, this could be a significant reason why there is such a variation in coat quality.

I wonder if the breeders in Europe have the same issue.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

AlaskaMagnum 04-18-2006 05:44 PM

Mustad,

I have no idea why there seems to be a lot of variation among the Pudel Pointers coat. Who knows, there may not be as much as I think there is. I am making my judgment based upon a dozen or so dogs I have seen.

I would personally never purchase a dog from a guy who produces 14 litters a year, for obvious reasons.

seadog 04-18-2006 09:54 PM

I know who you are talking about.... that's all I'll say . YOU GOT MAIL

jashoffa 05-09-2006 04:19 PM

live it to me to drag up old post but I think I read on a pp web site once that the coat can vary from shorter and softer to longer and more corse. not sure on the spacifics but I think it is an acceptable variation.

summkumar 04-04-2010 10:04 PM

In 1881, a German breeder, Baron von Zedlitz, worked on producing his ideal tracking, pointing, and retrieving gun dog, suitable for work on both land and water. From seven specific Poodles (pudel in german) and nearly 100 different pointers, he developed the Pudelpointer. The original sire was Tell, an English Pointer belonging to Kaiser Frederick III and the original dam was a German hunting pudel named Molly who was owned by Hegewald, an author known for works on hunting dogs.

The goal was to produce a dog that was willing and easy to train, intelligent, and loved water and retrieving, like the poodle, and add to that a great desire to hunt, a strong pointing instinct, and an excellent nose, like in the English Pointer.

The Poodle breed had much stronger genes, and so many more Pointers were used to achieve the balanced hunting dog that was desired. A mix of 11 Pudels and 80 Pointers was used during the first 30 years.

The breed was introduced to North America in 1956 by Bodo Winterhelt, who still today remains very involved in maintaining the breed standard. His Winterhelle Kennel was the foundation of the breed in North America. In 1977 Winterhelt founded the Pudelpointer Club of North America in Canada.
=================
Text Link Ads
personal blog low cost