HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Teach dog its ok to pee in kennel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/139204-teach-dog-its-ok-pee-kennel.html)

Sitter 04-10-2006 09:01 AM

Teach dog its ok to pee in kennel

Here is some background info:

I purchased my lab from a kennel when he was about 2 yrs old. Ihouse trained him right away, and he learned very fast. He is in the house with me except while I am at work, and has neverhad any accidentsin the house.

For the first year or so he was going number 1 and 2 in the kennel. For about the last 6-7 months though I have noticed he has not been going in the kennel as much.Latley, notat all. Then when I let him out of his kennel he races to take care of business.

I am at work for 10+ hours a day, and I dont want him to think he has to hold his bladder all day. It was easy to show him where not to go, but how do I show him where it is ok to go? Its hard to give him positive reinforcement when there is nothing to reinforce.

Also, let me add.....he is not in a crate, but a 20 by 40 ft kennel with access to an indoor shelter.

Thanks in advance

Sitter

tailcrackin 04-10-2006 09:13 AM

RE: Teach dog its ok to pee in kennel

All dogs are different, its odd, but some will not be in a messy situation. Could be a jacked up dog, and have it from side to side and front to back. Water bill goes up dramastically. Some dogs are that way, I have never seen it been a threat before, could be wrong, but it was never a health issue, Doc E is a good one with health issues, and a lab man himself, he will jump in, and help ease your mind, a good man, and good advice. thanks Jonesy

wildlands 04-10-2006 03:43 PM

Ever since I first got my dog she has not gone in the kennel unless she is sick. I also work long hrs 10 to 11 most of the year. It does not seem to bother her. I make sure when we take our morning walk that she does both before she is put up. When I let her out in the evenings she will run around me and play a little while then go off to do her business. As Jonsey stated all dogs are different even within the same breed. As long as mine keeps dong as she is doing and not peeing as she comes out of the kennel becasue she cannot hold it any more I will not worry about it. As she gets older I am sure things will change.Now if DOC E gets on here an tells me different I will have to change things up and make some arrangements to let her out earlier.

WAYNE1 04-10-2006 05:20 PM

RE: Teach dog its OK to pee in kennel

My 1 year old lab is the same way....never mess's in his kennel. he stays in the house with the family at night, then I air him first thing in the morning just before I kennel him for the day while I'm at work. As soon as I get home, I let him out to air just before our dailytraining season's. he seem perfectly healthy to me..:)

Sitter 04-11-2006 07:42 AM

I have always been told by vets that they shouldnt hold it in for more than 8 hrs or so. He's a young dog now, but I'm worried about the effects later in life.

thanks for the feedback

sitter

Doc E 04-12-2006 07:38 AM

Is there something in the kennel for him to lift his leg to pee on?
Two other things to do. You can pee on whatever you have for him to lift his leg on --- and/or bring in another male dog and let the other dog pee on it -- it will make your dog want to pee on the other dog's scent to 'cover it up'.

MTdrahthaar 04-12-2006 09:57 AM

One of my dogs won't pee or poop in his kennel. He won't even drink out of a water bucket in his kennel. I have tried everything I know to do, I gave up, he isn't going to change.

Sitter 04-12-2006 10:58 AM

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions. He does have the fence posts to raise his leg on. What about transplanting some of his poo into the kennel. Maybe this would give him the idea?

Again, thanks for the replies everyone.

sitter