HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   training question...viszla pup....too late to start? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/136557-training-question-viszla-pup-too-late-start.html)

geterdun 03-15-2006 03:13 PM

training question...viszla pup....too late to start?

hey,

i have a female vizsla puppy named sadie that is allmost a year old. I would love to get her into training for hunting. she listens great, has mastered sit, come, stay and all that. She is currently working on heal, which seems to be a struggle. I was wandering how i can begin to train her. i really dont want to spend money on a trainer if i can doo it myself, but i want to do it right. i hope that a year isnt too late. she has had basic obedience training and has done very well. any suggestions would help, thanks. i can really see her interest in the outdoors and wildlife. I dont know if it means anything, but when i walk her it seems like she is always stalking something and paying attention...stopping to listen....cocking her leg...pointing alittle, it might just be every dogs nature,but i dont think so,i can see her potential. But i want to train her before it gets too late. thanks alot

geterdun

CDover 03-15-2006 04:39 PM

RE: training question...viszla pup....too late to start?

well First thing I would do is see how she responds to a bird...Pigeon,quail ect. See how much excitement she shows, and how much point she has. If she has lots of point you will have a good place to start. Remember she is still a baby....So don't hurry her. I understand that Viszla take a bit longer to mature.. Mentaly.. There is lots of good advice on this board so good luck..[/align]Casey[/align]

tailcrackin 03-15-2006 05:00 PM

Didn't this question come up earlier, last month or so?? Offered what and why, or e-mail, and I heard nothing back?? Seems like the post was in dogs for sale, and got moved, done replies in both or one or the other. Thanks Jonesy

gspjeb 03-15-2006 08:25 PM

It is not too late to train a puppy at 1 year of age. In fact you have knocked out some of the yard training so to speak with the obedience. the only catch is that the puppy has to have the right genetics and breeding to be a hunting dog......does it come from hunting parents?......if it is from a hunting line then you can buy one of a number of books on how to train the pup. I personally think for guys training their own dogs that anything about Delmar Smith's techniques are pretty hard to beat. If the pup is not from hunting lines and shows no natural pointing instinct (flies, butterflies, squirrels etc.) then you may have a rough go at it. Always remember that they are born hunting dogs........we just mold them........Good luck to you and happy hunting.