HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   training hunt today (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/135888-training-hunt-today.html)

PA GOBBLER 03-09-2006 07:26 PM

training hunt today

well Husker and I went to the bird farm to do some training. i was a little let down today. 2 things i wasent so happy w/. first one was he isent holding point long at all. only a few seconds then he will go in for a flush. and the other was it seemed like he is hunting really fast. seems like he is running way to fast, fact he was running so fast he ran into a bird. by the time he smelled it, it was flushing. what can i do?
one thing that he did great was fetch. he brought the birds right to me, he would drop in front of me instead of the hand but hey i got a pointer im happy w/ that.
just a side note i only shot when he pointed. even though it was flash points. this pic is of him fetching.

tailcrackin 03-09-2006 07:39 PM

RE: training hunt today

Well PA, life is good, and training is great. Makes the ol ticker thump little bit dont it?? It is time to start getting a little formal. Hows the handle doing?? better?? I will fix you up a pm, it will take little bit, got some chores to finish. We need to go find an ol tree stump and sit and talk for a while, does the mind and tickers good. You can call also, 859-985-2918 930 now be up for little while, or tomm, after prolly 600. Thanks Jonesy.....don't get all bowed up , gonna be alright!! Later jonesy

gspjeb 03-09-2006 09:16 PM

How old is he? Reason that I ask is there are several things that you can look at here. First, always remember that dogs point naturally.......second the reward for them is mouthing the bird (most cases). If the bird is shot on a flash point, then you are really rewarding that behavior. If he is a young dog it is always easier to have someone shoot the bird for you with you gently restraining him with a check cord or not shooting the bird at all and just reinforcing him standing and then letting him chase. dogs have to learn how not to outrun their noses........a lot of times with the younger ones, they mix running around frolicking with hunting......and run right up on birds and point as an afterthought. I think that you just need consistency with this one and he will come around.......great that he retrieves naturally and sounds like he has the right genes........they are just evolving.

desertdog 03-09-2006 10:03 PM

How whoa broke is he? Is he dead on and staunch or does he creep on you? My youngest started creeping as he hit about the 20th bird mark. I sort of attributed it to being like a hot headed teenage boy showing of his new wheels. Ended up spending a session back on the bench and a few restrained (checkline) points on planted birds worked it out.

PA GOBBLER 03-10-2006 06:13 AM

jonesy- ill try and give you a ring after 6 tonite k?

gspjeb- he is 8 1/2 months old. i know he is still a pup so im not getting to worried but i want to start to do the right things. and i agree i pry shouldnt have shot when he was flash pointing. i also think your right about him running around, he loves to burn off his energy

desertdog- he knows whoa, but he really dont hold it out in the field, at home or on lead he holds cause he knows i have more control of him. but whoa is something i havent worked on to much.
thanks everyone

wyotimberghost 03-11-2006 03:06 AM

My dog always seems to have too much energy, so we let her out a couple of miles away from our parking point and let her run along side the truck the whole way. She loves the running and it wears her out a little bit so that she isn't so strung up when we start hunting.

Mite 03-11-2006 09:27 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. It's still a very young dog that's just starting to learn about birds and guns. Like wyotimberghost says let the dog burn up energy. I use to hunt behind a pointer for several years and every morning we would let the pointer and my setter run for about 1/2 hour to let them burn energy while we got ready. Pups especially have alot of natural energy. But it sounds like he is doing real well.