HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Training beagles (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/128712-training-beagles.html)

coolbrze0 01-13-2006 04:32 AM

Training beagles

I'll be picking up 3 new pups (I'm thinking 1 male, 2 females) pretty soon and was interested in the best way to train these beagles on rabbits. Last time I just ran them a lot and they got pretty darn good. Any tips/tricks for me to go off? Thanks!

skulker 01-15-2006 04:44 PM

RE: Training beagles

I got 4 beagles and the I started them was on domestic rabbits. I let them play with them a little till they got excited, then had my daughter go off about 30 yards and put the rabbit down all the time the dogs where watching her and raising a fuss then I cut them lose. But you have to go with them because when they catch the rabbit they could hurt it and you don't want that and also you need to do it often so keep your rabbit alive and healthy

Tree climber 01-16-2006 05:41 PM

I live just down the road from the golf course.
in the spring and early summer in the late afternoon when we get a thunderstrom or rain of anykind.(when it rains the golf players go in) I ride till I see a rabbit and then I go get md pups and walk them by where the bunny was.I watch and make sure there on the track area.they will smell and look.I walk with them and talk to them till they start to follow (trail) and pretty soom they get the idea. it only take a few days till they know what I am gonna do with them. and they know what to do when I tirn them out.

I wait till late and just after the rain.the rabbits stay on the outer edges of the course, the players are gone so it doesn't bother anyone. ("just be sure there are no players on the course") they may get upset.but after dark it doesn't matter.

missed_another 01-18-2006 05:36 PM

coolbrze0.... that's just the way i would do it also. the more practice the better they get. try to do things the same way every time you go out until they understand whats going on. if it is in their blood theypretty much train themselfs if you go out alot. the best time to train is when the ground is damp makes the scent easy to follow. the worst time is when the ground is dry and the wind is blowing.we usually start training when they are anywhere from 16 to 20 weeks old. you may have to shoot one for scent to get them started though.with three new pups i wouldwork them one at a time for awhile. sliced hotdogs do wonders for your training sessions. just don't start them to early in the spring they could destroy the rabbit's nests. give the younger bunnies a little more time to grow so they will run and you will have a blast. nothingquite as funny as watching a pup chase a young bunny. the circles will be very small. alot of times less than 50 yards.good luck p.s.anytime you have problems there is almost always someone on here for help.:)

beagler1551 02-01-2006 05:36 PM

The guys above gave you some good imfo. and if you have anybody around you with an old dog see if you can go running with them some. When your pups get around 5 or 6 months old and are not started well you might look around and see if their is someone with a starting pen around close, lots of beaglers in va.

dynatec 02-07-2006 07:40 PM

My brother breads blue tic beagles and has them chasing hare @ 31/2 months old . First he live trapshare by putting apples in the cage.He then keeps the dogs around the cage until they get excited and then releases the hare then the pups.4-5 times of this and the chase is on.After that get themin the woods and they find their own .The more running they get the better they are.This is the fastest way to see awesome results.