HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Sportdog 1200 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/126606-sportdog-1200-a.html)

Mite 12-27-2005 09:17 PM

Sportdog 1200

I finally got one in the mail after the post office lost the first package. I got it for $70 less than most mail order stores via ebay; brand new. Anyhow, the collar box is huge. It looks as wide as my dog's neck. My dog is about 35lbs this collar is for labs or bigger dogs. My dog's neck is narrow (when her head is down her collar is loose but not when it's straight). Can I still use this? The width of the box is as long as my dog's muzzle. Will it hamper my dog when running? I would rather not open the box only to find that my dog can't use it. Perhaps I should keep it and place it over her belly?

porknbeans 12-28-2005 06:19 AM

RE: Sportdog 1200

I have the Sportdog 1800 and use it on my Brit without any problems. I snug the collar up so that I'm sure the prongs are touching and she doesn't have any problems with it on her neck. I haven't had her get it caught on branches, grass or fencelines. It may seem large, but it is just as big as the TT that I have. The only smaller option is the new Innoteks that are coming out. I have noticed though that I have to turn it so the on/off button is facing forward. Otherwise, she can sometimes turn it off when it presses against her dog collar. I hope some of this helps.

Mite 12-29-2005 12:08 AM

It don't matter now. My dog chewed the box up. LOL. Well, I started using it. I put it on her for awhile while she played. Then did some training with check cord. Hit the button a few times w/ come command then called it a day.Funny, the lowest setting she ignored it completely. I had to look to see if it was on. At setting 2 (of 8) I still couldn't see if it worked. So, I took it off and let her play some more.

porknbeans 12-29-2005 05:51 AM

Mite, I'm not surprised. There are days that my dog will react to level 1 and others where she will completely ignore it. I've noticed the more focused she is with something the more level I have to add to the correction. I appreciate how you are approaching the collar though. I've been with guys who will light up there dog with the first correction and then laugh about it. These are also probably the same people who were picked on in school when they were kids. ;)

Keep up the slow and steady approach and you will be very rewarded in the end.

PA GOBBLER 01-17-2006 07:01 PM

Mite- how has things been going w/ this? i got a collar last week and have been letting him wear it at different times everyday. now tomorrow im going to intro it to him. im going to keep it light and go from there.
i know you were talking about the size of it, being big. has that been a problem? i got the Tri-Tronics G2 and its small. well i hope all is well keep me posted buddy

Mite 01-17-2006 10:30 PM

Actually, it's working out really well. I haven't used it often lately because she got spayed Thurs so everything has been on leash. But before then it worked really well. If she gets into an area that she's not allowed in, a nick will get her attention, the second nick and she'll come running.

Actually the first day she just wore it. The second day, two or three nicks. So, I used it maybe 7-8 nicks a week total. The size doesn't seem to bother her.

Congrats on the Tri-tronics G2. IfI didn't get a good deal on this, I would have gone with the G2.

missed_another 01-18-2006 05:05 PM

the size of the box will not brother the dogs. we use the 2400 models on our beagles with no problems. they have the same size box. just set the collar to hold the box on side of the neck just under the ear. if the collar is not tight on their neck you can push the button all day long and they will not receive anything. it has to be touching at all times. if the collar has a warning mode always use that before you shock. it will only be a few days and the warning will be all you need to use. and never set the shock up any higher than you can take on your own fingers. any higher than that and you could ruin your dog.

PA GOBBLER 01-18-2006 07:21 PM

well sorry Mite to take over your post, but this is better than starting a new one. today i used it a little on him. mine has 6 levels. it took him to number 3 for him to even feel it. and 3 is a pretty good zap. but i put him on a 20' lead and let him out and called "here" and he didnt listen(he knows what here is, just started a few weeks ago that he would stop listening to me) and i said "here" again and zap and so on till he came in, then i told him good boy. seemed to work only did it a few times and called it quits for the day.