Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

my lab

Old 12-04-2005, 12:44 PM

Default my lab

well she shows interest in retrieveing. she knows give pretty well. but she will lose interest pretty easily. is this just a phase or will it be permanent? she is a pretty smart dog. so i dont know if its just a phase. im using a tennis ball. is this ok? if not can someone please tell me what will be better. thanks.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:38 PM

Default RE: my lab

Hey Rob, my name is Dave Jones... Jonesy, I own and operate Jonesy's Gun Dogs in Berea, Kentucky, I train all breed bird dogs and retrivievers, if you have any questions feel free to call, ok? What I would work on right now, if she was here, on the retrieve, I would get a 2 inch thick rubber bumper, get her to be picking it up. Bring her in the house, get at the start of your hallway, shut all the doors.You want one way there and one way back.Get her next to you, toss bumper, let the dog get, as soon as shepicks bumper up, let her feel like she has just done the most incrediblest thing in the world. Lot of woo hoo's or something. Tell her here, when she comes to you LET HER HOLD IT, you want to focus more on the greatness of her retrieving, what this will work her into is retrieving the bumpers, it is gonna be a major part of her life during training. If she spits out on the way back in, I will explain that also, Just let me know. When you go out side and do that start of retrieving drills, I am going to assume that your doing a bunch, just do 2 or 3 and be done! NO MORE FOR A WHILE, put her up wanting to please you, OK? She''l be more excited about working next time. You want her to know the retrieve is the best thing that she can do for you, she is gonna learn off of your body english, and the tone and excitement in your voice. Understand?? If not e-mail or phone, andI will go into more detail, alright? Thansk Jonesy
Old 12-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. How old is your dog?
2. What training program are you following?

Old 12-06-2005, 02:56 PM

she is 4 months old. and im using a book called water dog and i may try gun dog.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Your lab is ruined for life! But on a serious note; good luck with trying to get your pup focused on anything for very long at that age.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:58 PM

It is all in presentation, you can get more out of 3 workouts, at 10 min. than you can 1 workout at 30 min. It just takes time and patience. Honestly, man he's got the dog at the fun age!! Within a week or so, that dog should be looking at you, and saying got this dad, show me something new, you'd see it in the eyes. Thanks Jonesy
Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Mite

Your lab is ruined for life! But on a serious note; good luck with trying to get your pup focused on anything for very long at that age.
am i starting to early?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:10 AM

Try to find someone with another seasoned dog to give your dog some competition as well, at first leave your dog on a lead and just let it watch the retrieves, this helps to build desire in your dog. I use this method with such dogs with alot of success...also, in warmer weather try some water retrieves with more than one dog. Just play to begin with really build the desire in your dog. Throw for both dogs with a bumper, let them both go out for it...this gives them competition and has worked well in the past for me. After you wake up your dogs desire reinforce basic obediance so you build a steady dog as well.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

blwalt17
Like jonesy says, one good retrieve is worth two bad ones. Keep it a game with you pup. Break up your training sessions.Listen toppl here on the board,they're professional trainers and experts.

I see alot of labs everday at the dog park here. It's at a beach so alot of people throw bumpers and tennis balls. I've notice most young labs aren't that gungho about retrieving whereas when a year or so older that's all they want to do. Our eight year old goldie loves to retrieve. She go at it all day. So, I wouldn't be overly concern. I don't think I've met a lab yet that won't retrieve.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:04 PM

sometimes she just doesnt show interest in retrieveing. like today she wouldnt get it so i started training her on sitting and staying and what not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.