Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 GSP not listening (teenager?) w/ pic >

GSP not listening (teenager?) w/ pic

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

GSP not listening (teenager?) w/ pic

Old 11-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Default GSP not listening (teenager?) w/ pic

Hi there,

Several questions here. First off, my 7 mo. old GSP puppy has been a very good loving pet and I can't wait to get him in the field. But there are some issues I am having with him. He does not listen to my commands. Like when I let him out in our backyard to do his business and after 10 min or so I tell him to COME, he will not come. He sort of ignores me. He also does not COME when he is being bad (ie. playing with things he shouldnt like a shoe, blanket, clothes etc). I don't know if its because he is in his teenage cycle or what. He does fine when I am formally training him with treats etc. in the house and outside. I praise him for everything he does that I want him to do so he knows. I'm sort of stuck with this... I need to get this command mastered before I send him off to training. Let me know your thoughts please!

Thanks

P.S. Here are pictures of Guinness, my all-liver GSP, to introduce him :-)

Old 11-29-2005, 11:08 AM

Default RE: GSP not listening (teenager?)

Another...

Old 11-29-2005, 12:59 PM

My opinion, you need to tighten up on the yard work...[obedience], he is saying screw you cause he can, It should not matter if he is ob or not when he goes to trainer, it is nice when they no something, but not a requirement, that is why he's going to a trainer. That is something that I personally work on, through all the training, when a new dog comes here. In looking at the second picture, I feel that you can see it in his eyes, he is the boss and he knows it. Now, this is just my opinion!! You can call or e-mail, I can give you some ideas to try, or work your dog. Thanks Dave Jones....Jonesy's Gun Dogs[all breed bird dogs, and retrievers] Berea, Kentucky 859-985-2918 [email protected] [email protected] That is a mighty fine looking K9, I like them all liver!!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:35 PM

First off, that is a good looking dog and he looks like a pistol!I have a GSP as well. My advice would be that you really need to take charge with him during your training sessions. If he knows the basic command and he will not comply there needs to be a consequence. I used a good old fashioned crack on the butt. It worked for me.However, you have to remember that he is still a puppy. So, when it is play time let him have some fun. Just take charge when you are doing a training session.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:44 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. The thing is that I am tough on him. I usually discipline by grabbing the extra skin around the back of the neck and shake him while saying "NO!!!" Sometimes my wife thinks I am too rough but I don't think so. So I am still kind of at a loss of what to do. I will take a little more aggressive approach to basic commands though. I have praising him very happily when he does obey so maybe i'll kind of just say "good boy" and move on without being excited.... What do you think?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:47 PM

He is not a teenager yet, still a puppy. Keep working on simple commands, but don't get too upset when he goofs up. Wait til his second season. That's when they can decide to go wild and be a real handfull.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:25 PM

Yes I agree, with pup talk, he is old enough, like underdog says, stay with simple commands. Take him outside, and put a checkcord on him, as soon as he goes, praise for going outside, then tell him "here", after he calms down from the excitement, of you praising. He will have to come "here," because the checkcords on him. walk him through it. Here, tug little, shorten up the rope on the tug, and so on and so on, over repitition, he will learn that he has to do it. After a while let him drag the cord when outside, when you walk out to get him, say "here",if he thinks he doesn't have to, he won't, soas he's running, or walking by, step on the cord, repeat the command. He has to do it, its all in repetition. Everytime he comes in on the command, love him up. Alot of people do the "here" mostly when putting up , or being bad, I would not wanna get spanked or put up, so I woulddo the same thing. Does this make sense, if not I can explain more. You want to make "here" a good thing, it will always pay off on the final product. I would say in an average work out, with a bird dog or retriever, I personally will do between 2-4 here's per session. 1 It gives an excuse to put your hands on the dog, while working. 2 The dog starts to enjoy the treasure he gets, when he comes in. Understand? Thanks, Jonesy
Old 11-29-2005, 04:34 PM

Here's food for thought, I live and strive by this.....While dog training you will ALWAYS get more ut of attrition[love], than you will by pressure, it might take a touch longer to teach, but you will not have a boogered in the end. Patience is a virtueThanks Jonesy
Old 12-04-2005, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: djswizz

Another...

wow my friend has a GSP so similar to that. all liver. nice lookin dog. i cant help you. i just wanted to compliment youre pretty dog.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:43 PM

Sorry, a little late to the party probably. Like several have said already, at 7 months your dog is still a puppy. If you are too rough with him at this age you will pay for it during the next 10-12 years of life. Let your dog have fun and be loose for the first year. Basic discipline is a must, but you will be be better served with a soft hand thana hard one in a dogs first year. Yelling at him is meaningless since the last time I checked dogs don't speak English. Sure they will know that you're pissed, but they won't know what about. It's not my intention to point fingers, just let you know what I've learned.

I suggest that you take a step back and let your dog have some happy time. Let him build up a prey drive in his first year that makes the dog drunk with excitement. Once you have that you can begin to focus that intensity. Good luck.

Quick Reply: GSP not listening (teenager?) w/ pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.