Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Making pigeons dizzy

Old 11-17-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Making pigeons dizzy

Got my pigeons on the way to help my gun shy dog. Just need someone to refresh me on how to make them dizzy. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2005, 08:50 PM

Default RE: Making pigeons dizzy

Take your hand and start at the base of the neck, take and slide your hand down towards the wings and pull the elbows of the wings down further. This gets them out of the way, start spinning head around in circle. You can tuck the head under the wing and pull the legs same time and its night night.If your dogs gunshy, I personally, if you brought him to me, would take and start at the body of the pigeon, and pull quite a few of the feathers out of one wing.At this point of" FIXING"we want the dog to point, and get the bird up, or let it flush, if not steady, you want the bird to fly little bit,andflop,and the dog to catch. This will get the dog excited about the "bird". after 4 or 5, depending on the dogs response day by day, will just say 6 bird when dog goes to put mouth on it and catch, shoot. Eliminates the time the dog will have to unfocus on the bird. This is a start, then just progress from there, but for the next 4-6 birds shoot when the dog is putting mouth on to catch. If on the first shot, he pulls off the chase, or is uncomfortable with the noise,you'll see the reaction,do some more birds with no shot, then retry. Understand?? Feel free to ask if you don't. Thanks Jonesy
Old 11-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Instead of dizzying them, why don't you just "card" them?

Old 11-18-2005, 06:38 AM

Yea,Doc the only reason why i did not suggest carding, he says dog gunshy, and at the start, i have seen some dogs booger up little bit because of the card. thats why i said to pull some feathers. Leaves it blk/wht for dog/handler. Jonesy
Old 11-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tailcrackin

Yea,Doc the only reason why i did not suggest carding, he says dog gunshy, and at the start, i have seen some dogs booger up little bit because of the card. thats why i said to pull some feathers. Leaves it blk/wht for dog/handler. Jonesy

Good idea.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:42 PM

Better to be safe than sorry, Thanks Doc E, Jonesy