HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Does your dog get upset if he does not go out hunting and you do? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/120922-does-your-dog-get-upset-if-he-does-not-go-out-hunting-you-do.html)

veener88 11-13-2005 06:41 PM

Does your dog get upset if he does not go out hunting and you do?

This might sound like a weird question but does your get upset if you go out hunting and he does not? This is mongo's and my first year of hunting and for Mongo being a dog that I rescued and he was wairy of water just 2 years ago he has been doing great for me this year. He even did his first retrival this year.

Well next weekend is deer season so this will be the first weekend that I am going out and he is not. As soon as he sees the gun come out he is going nuts in the house. He sleeps in my room so he knows when I am getting up and gearing up. I am just wondering how does your dog act when you go out with out him.

pjhunts 11-13-2005 06:45 PM

RE: Does your dog get upset if he does not go out hunting and you do?

Absolutely, I have 3 shorthairs and if I don't take them all the one(s) left bhind whine and pout until I return. I use special reflective collars that slip over their head and my oldest female will stick her head into it all by herself, she's always ready!

shpines 11-14-2005 06:49 AM

If we take just one or two dogs from the kennel, the rest howl until the truck pulls out of the driveway. I don't know if they think 'hey if I howl long enough they will take me' or what.

porknbeans 11-14-2005 08:21 AM

As soon as my dog sees blaze orange she thinks she's involved. So, yes she get's very upset if she's not coming along and there's orange involved. :)

PA GOBBLER 11-14-2005 07:47 PM

yes.. mine is just a pup and when he sees me putting on my boots and camo he just goes nuts then when i leave w/o him he gives me the saddest look a pup could give..

wildlands 11-14-2005 07:48 PM

I think my dog can tell the pattern on my hunting clothes. She will be fine and then when I come out with them she goes crazy and runs to the door. My wife says that she wines and goes to the window and watches me leave.

porknbeans 11-15-2005 06:09 AM

Fortunately, I haven't had to do this more than once or twice. I need my dog for pheasant hunting. If I am wearing orange it is only because I'm going to shoot some trap and it's the only padded shirt that I've got.

:D

dirz1 11-15-2005 06:18 AM

As soon as I pick up any piece of hunting clothingmy shorthair is jumping around and waiting by the door. So, I keep my hunting clothes in my car ahead of time. This way I don'tget him upset. It works like a charm.

weezer 11-26-2005 12:09 AM

my pointer has been going nuts the last few weeks,since it was deer gun season. but tomorrow he gets to go back to hunting pheasants, a couple of times a week.

kshutingkid 11-28-2005 07:52 PM

Ourpup goes crazy too. She sleeps with mom and dad, but shes the hunting dog. The other day I was going out by myself and I got up and went to get the dog up. She was ready to go once she saw the shotguns. She got all excited, then dad came out and tried to call her over to him. She took about 5 steps, stopped and looked at him for a second in his underwear, then turned around and ran to me since she knew I was going out. Its amazing how they just kind of know.