Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Irish Setters:Are  they any good? >

Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Old 03-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Phil
I see the difference between pictures. It is the same with the setter, especially for the show crowd. The only difference is the color concerning the show dogs. Concerning the field setter, I own a Llewellin setter which is an original Rhoebe-Duke-Laverack cross from the mid 1890s. All Llewellins have to DNA profiled. Before 1890's all setters were considered 'setters'. The original Gordon was actually white with black tickled. So the modern english setter (American) have Gordon, Irish, and 'English' (Llewellin import) setter blood.

The only way to save the Irish is to get the word out and the first step is to get together with similar minded people. Then form a club and get your dog DNA profiled. Everything else will fall into place.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:07 PM

Phil-
Do what you have to do to protect those beautiful lines!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:51 AM

Phil
What are you doing man? Feels like you are leaving because some people think these dogs are not good huntiing dogs.´So what?Opinons are like A-- holes. Everyone is entitled to one.
These are beautiful graceful and above all, good hunting dogs(you know better than the rest of us who dont own them)So if you love them so much, just stick around and fight. Show everyone what they are capable of. Make some videos of them and put them on the net for the ignorant majority(like myself) to watch and go ''wow, these dogs can really hunt'' . I started this tread cause I liked the looks and the behaviour of these dogs, I would have asked you for a puppy if I didnt live in California. Over here, short haired dogs do better. We have thick brush and cactus that long haired dogs are not suitable for. Dont you leave us and let us drown in the ocean of ignorance about these magnificent animals.
Phil I end my letter to you by a quote from John Belushi:
''Was it over when Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!!! And it aint over now'' (or was it Bin Laden )[]
Old 03-10-2006, 02:17 AM

Heh, funny quote. I hope people get whats funny about that...
Old 03-10-2006, 05:42 AM

You chaps are right on the money.
As I have been quoted, "Show bred dogs are lucky to findtheir food bowl in their crate!"
Old 03-10-2006, 05:57 AM

I should add tha up here in Canada, and I expect to some degree in the USA, a number of show breeders are getting Field Dog Junior - similar to your Junior Hunter, on their show dogs. Then, when an unsuspecting buyer that wants a hunter comes along, they pull out the pedigree and point to the Junior "titles" their dogs have. Up here, it has contributed to more than one unhappy hunter that ends up taking up golf!
Drives me CRAZY!! Let's face it, that pup is virtually usuless afield (aside from the rare exception) but that guy, gal or eveb worse whole FAMILY are stuck with it for how many years?!?!?!? Youask those youngkids if they wantto have "Cuddley" replaced 'cause he can't find diddley and his coat gets him hung up on the lawn...........NOT LIKELY!
As responsible aficionados of fine field dogs, we need to better educate folk in general. I try but recently, a chap fell prey to the old, "Well why don't you just stop in....." These unscrupulous breeders know that if they can get you and your spouse in the door, they likely have a sale. Have you ever seen a little pup you didn't think was"cute"? The uninformed folk get fished into a deposit and then .....it's all over.
Happened again recently up here. Then I heard that the single chap's lifestyle was being cramped by the (showbred) pup. Bottom line....it's gone!
Old 03-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hi folks you guys are so right! I've been a little dissapointed over the crapp on the Irish is no good and stupid. The fact that the American Field has raised it's standard from a 11:00 tail to a 12:00 tail now and the fact
I have failed to find a setter club any closer than PA. Maine is a big state
to drive through. So these will not be trailing here. However Maine is full of sportsmen and I know if I want to work at it that I can get these setters intosome of Maine'ssportmen's shows and tell them about there history and hopefully a demo on how well these can hunt. And I feel things will start turning around with what I have in mind.Yes, I will
make sure that their story is told. And these setters are in the field or Maine woods on three to four days a week as we can train here all year long 7 days a week.I never came here to sell puppies nor did I try to offend no one. Sean's post had drawn me in because I enjoy hunting with the Irish, and yes, there is good hunters here in the U S.
And like redn says alot of misinformed people out there are being takefor a ride. Here a group of 3 people were bringing pups in from puppy find and selling the Irish as hunting dogs that show,hunt,and do everything you want them to do.They would get 4 or 5 pups at a time and sell them as the everything dogs. And this was getting done with most all breeds. They
had alot of red tape with the "just give us your money attitude". When I got my Irish there was no one in the state that had them. When my last
one flew in the Irish was up for sale here. Upon checking this out they told us that they raised Irish, a year later they told us what was going on.
I guess they must of failed as the kennels went up for sale.This is in no
way to discredit puppy find because I believe that puppy find can be a great thing. It is just how some people will go to the extreme to try and makemoney off others and the puppies exspence.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:10 PM

hey Phil, this is the disadvantage of internet, man, I get tired of all the fussing, like this topic.....5 pages?? Getting tired. Doc Boser got the championship, and runner-up at the red setter spring trial, didn't hear who got the all-age, they still gotta run pups tommorrow. Pretty good looking bunch of dogs, few, were little blah, bust overall, most were worth watching, I missed most of the trial, watch the am stuff and walking trial today, seemed like alot of workable dogs, but lot of bad training, several dogs breaking and catching......oooops, but all in all pretty good day, Thanks, Jonesy