Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Irish Setters:Are  they any good? >

Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Old 02-28-2006, 06:09 AM

Default RE: Irish Setters:Are they any good?

What is the differencs between an Irish and a Red setter? Has anyone got a pict of a red setter?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

A Red Setter is a cross between the Irish and the English Setter
Old 02-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Mite,
Old 03-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Whoa

Old 03-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I want to thank you guys for all the help and with that said I can surely understand why they are not heard of much. I hope to start trialing Rusty in May I have been incontact and the folks enjoy a newcomer. He will be in the all dog group. I'm not expecting any miracles as this will be his first
trial. But I'm sure to show some surprises with the opions on the Irish Setters as they are today alot is going to see first hand. With this said it is time to leave the forums. As I go here is a picture of a pup that is now in N.H. The new owners state she has been pointing at 12 weeks. And still doing good at nine months now.

These are in fact the Irish Red and Whites and the Irish combination. The Irish Red and Whites are believed to be the first Irish ever. The Irish Setter was bred from these! I also removed all the pictures Ibelieve that I had posted earlier
so not to bother anyone with them! As I enjoy them anyhow
just the way they are.

Good Day
Old 03-08-2006, 01:54 PM

What ?????? are you leaving the planet or what? Why are you removing the pictures? Why goodbye?We want to see more results from your beautiful Setters.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

This may come as a surpise to you Sean, I'm not leaving the planet
and need to take a break! I removed the pics as the confusion over the Irish is very hard to understand. This is because of what the show has done to them. And today a new threat to their existent is upon us. Will
they make it through this new challenge so that future generations can
see one without looking in books? Our will they be wiped off the map?
You see what appears to be a good thing for some may or may not be
a good thing in time. I'm proud to be of a handfull of people trying to
protect the once world famous Irish Setter. And yes even then the English
Setter was trailing against them, and the Irish held it's head up high. It was a good time for the Irish. But, times have changed and perhaps at
a later time I will post some new pics. For now I realize that they need
to go back out of site for awhile. I enjoy the Irish's personality, their gentleness, the " devil may care attitude", and the pleasure of hunting
with them. Makes owning one a gift that only perhaps the owners will ever
realize. I also realize that inorder to protect them is like you would be watching over a flock of sheep while surrounded by wolves. The road ahead is going to be a long one! And it is IMO that the newest threat is not the show as we already know what they have done to them. The newest threat is now IMO the red setter ( red coats ). With the beeding stock being further reduced can not be said to be helping out the Irish
or the English. But hopefully these new setters will work out for all that want them. As I close I will post three pictures of setters. 1) the what the show has done to them, 2) the Irish ( Rusty ), 3) the red setter.
Anyways this is how I see it,and thanks to all with the training help
I'm sure that the info you folks helped me with will help the setters out
greatly!

Old 03-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

2) " Rusty "

Old 03-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

3) the Red Setter

This is in no way meant to offend anybody, and I hope this helps to show what I am saying! And by keeping the pictures out it may show what the idea of not having them in the future would be like.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:53 PM

Interesting. I think I may have missed something but I am not sure...I know that I have been in love with Irish Setters since I first saw an old movie called Big Red. Currently I own Weimaraners and I believe they are in the same plight as Irish Setters are in. I know I get offended at some of the things people say about the breed and I have a feeling that is what happened here.

Quick Reply: Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.