Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Irish Setters:Are  they any good? >

Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Old 12-17-2005, 09:29 PM

Default RE: Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Hi Spuddog,
Yes I think we were agreeing. The article in Time Mag is what I was thought was a little unfair.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:36 PM

check out "Celtic Kennels" I think you'll like what you find there!
Many breeds have had the "Hunt" bred out of them due to their beauty, its a long list, but, to name a few in adddition, cockers, goldens, labs, springers, and others.
Point being, regardless of breed, if a hunter is what you seek, be sure to go to the hunting sources to find and acquire your breed of choice.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:01 PM

Thanks guys. By the way it was a great Chuckar year in California. Lots of birds but they are easy to lose when downed. They camouflage like hell and stay motionless. Got to get a dog for the next years.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow ! Some people are confused ! I currentley hunt with 2 Irish Setters
and will not hunt with anyother breed.These are not the show dog ! Yes there is show dogs out there but the true hunter is shorter haired and very smart. Also make up some of the best family dogs and very loyal.To
say that there is none left is ludicous! I currently have had Rusty on pheasants at 15 degree temperature and very windy and he pointing and holding on them . Not breaking, not false pointing, and impressing all that was there.This was done on 2-10-06, it is sad that the show have ruined
the name but thefield dogs still exists and are hard to find.Check out smythsirishsetters.comor the meramichiin.com to name a couple.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:21 PM

I have a friend of mine, a Vet in NC that runs Irish Settersin the Open Shooting Dog events. He is pretty successful with his Red dogs in open horseback events.
(many would not consider the Irish as a horseback dog) but he does win!
They are Reg. with the American Field not AKC
Old 02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was about 20 [ I'm 41 now ] I had an Irish setter named Brandy.Someone was giving him away. He was about 8 months old. I'm no gun dog expert, but that dog loved to hunt.He never had any kind of formal training other than me just taking him out in the field. I can still remember the first time I saw him point a pheasant. I never saw a dog point before. I watched him sniffing around real fast and acting all excited. Then suddenly he locked into a point right in front of me. I took a couple steps and flushed two hens. He did chase the birds as they flew out through the field. He would always range out in front at about 50yds, zig zaging back and forth. When ever we would change direction, I'd just whistle and he'd swing around in front. He was very well behaved and would come when called. Basically he hunted just on instinct. I didn't teach commands [ whoa, heal, down, etc...] He was just a house pet that we'd take along on pheasant hunts. He loved to hunt and listened well , although he was clumsy.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:10 PM

People say the same thing about Weimaraners and I have two that hunt great. Maybe not champions, but that could be the trainer too. I have always loved Irish Setters because of their hunting style and looks. There is a breeder very close to where I live and someday I may get one. My point is, there are still plenty of Irish Setters that hunt and you shouldn't let popular opinion sway you from that.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:42 PM

If I were serious about getting a field bred Irish Setter I'd go straight to the source. I'm sure there are number of breeders in Ireland who could set you up. Thanks to the internet it shouldn't be that hard.

As far as Irish Setters here in the states goes, I've never seen one in the field, but according to the posts here they do still exist. I personally would be wary, and would want to see the pups parents working. Only because I've heard of a lot of dogs, both popular, and obscure breeds, whose owners have said they hunt well, but then upon accepting an invite to hunt with them I found I was better served kicking up birds on my own. In my own short sighted way, I beleive this would more likely be the case with an obscure breed. Anyway, no offense meant to any Irish Setter owners present.

As far as Red Setters go. I have seen them on a number of occassions, and have been impressed. You might take a look there.

Finding a classy dog to have at your side shouldn't be too terribly difficult whether you decide on an Irish, Red, or many other breed of dog. There are so many. Keep in mind that the AKC doesn't mean too much in the reality of the hunting dog world, and that you might just find a dog to your liking with the American Field tag on it. There are also many breeds availablein Europe that aren't here yet. Though that can turn into quite an adventure should you decide to go that route.

On the subject of over breeding, and Labs; one thing which has worked for the Labs is it's overwhelming popularity. There are just too many Labs, and too many backyardsoccer mombreedersto completely breed the hunting and retreiving instinct out of it. It's actually a bit hard to fathom that soccer mom, and yuppy breeders might actually be helping the breed.

Anyway
Old 02-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tailcrackin

Now there are few breeders that are making some awsome gun dogs with the Red Setters. Charlie turner, Hard Times kennel Berea Ky, Tim Hammons, Silvercreek Red Setters Berea Ky, and Stan Zandewicks Zan Sett Kennel Muskego Wis. These are some Red Setters that I have personnally worked with, nice dogs very biddable. Biggest thing ya here is " how will I see in timber " 2in. blaze orange collar, spending time with dog and learning it. Very workable breed. temper reminds you of regular setter, classy run, high tail, loving atmosphere. Any dog --- you get out what you put in. Later Jonesy
couldn't agree more. i've hunted over some red setters and they are fantastic. look a lot like the irish, but bred for the field. a good bird dog.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I have to agree that with any dog a lot of research is needed on the breed, on the type of hunting, on the kennel or the breeders you are looking at! No, offense but research is a must have. Myself I enjoy hunting
the Irish Setters with breeders importing them out of Dublin, Ireland as suppose I could of imported one. But if you do your research you can find what you want in anydog. One of my dogs grandparents was Imperial Man
imported out of The Irish Kennel Club LTD. Whos father was the winner of 35 green stakes and 25 opens! No offense but, the real Irish Setters are coming back ! Yes the Red Setters are also doing well too. But, again as with any breed research cannot be stessed enough .

Quick Reply: Irish Setters:Are they any good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.