Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

intro to gunfire

Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 AM

Default RE: intro to gunfire

I agree, but sometimes if clients don't understand, ya gotta work with them. Some of the " hot shoes" in retriever world haven't been ff,BUT, as puppys awsome programs, to retrieve to hand. Its all in how brought up. Jonesy
Old 10-29-2005, 12:20 PM

My dog is diffent to me then yours is i guess. I dont like ff at all. I had other dogs in the past trained them my way and they worked out great. This dog on the other hand has been a lil complicated. Which is not a problem ive got patience. Hes my buddy and friend. I feel if my dog cant get them duck b/c he cant find it, get to, or what ever the cirumstances my be. Its no big deal to me. My dog is no world champion duck dog not from a breed like that or anything. Hes just a good helper. Is how i look at it i want him having fun not doing it just b/c he was trained to do it. If he cant get it iam sure i can take the boat or walk over and get it. Thats my view on ff. I know people call me stupid but it works for me.
P.S> O and by the way thanks for all the help jonsey
Old 10-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You still haven't stated why you object to FF....All it can possibly do is make your dog a better hunting partner.....have yet to hear where a dog FF'd turned out worse, or harmed the dog. It's your choice....which is your decision, and I can respect that....just with my dog's, I just feel that it's like adding oil to it's engine, and make it run better. In all the Field test's that I have attended....I know of none that were running that weren't FF'd....except in the puppy and Started division. Most of the folk's that do the Field test's aren't there just to have a Championship dog....but to have to dog learn to his potential....Just makes it so much easier for both you....and the dog. JMO
Old 10-29-2005, 07:59 PM

Yes Wayne I agree i'veff lots of retrievers and bird dogs. And it is rough way to make your money, but it is fun tosee the final project. I'm not taking sides but there are few dogs that have FC and AFCtitles, and even hunt test titles, that have not been ff. I will assume that beau does a lot of just gun dog work, and hunting himself, and it does not have to be exact or precise, so on that note we have to help explore the options. Yes I like the dogthat snaps and gets and snaps back, like a ball of fire. Usually a"to much dog " situation. An awsome feeling to cradle up the energy and make work, when they say it can't be. This is time when over looking what we want, and try to help out someone else. So Beau, you work on what we've talked about and lets seehow we can makeit work!! Got some other tricks in my bag. Where do you live?? Jonesy
Old 10-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't believe that in any of my post you'll see anything close to..
This is time when over looking what we want
Never have I stated such a thing....just curious as to why he doesn't want to.....it's his dog, and he can do with what he want's....Just thought maybe he knew something negative about FF that I didn't.. ....Sorry....think I may have taken this thread off it's original question. Don't want to distract tailcrackin's help..
Old 10-30-2005, 12:18 AM

I live in Arkansas
Old 10-30-2005, 06:22 PM

Hey. been trying to think of who i personally know in that area, that could work with ya. Right now no one, buti will still help you through the problem. Cool? Jonesy
Old 10-30-2005, 10:46 PM

Took the dog out today with the piegons. He did great added a lil gun fire into the mix. He did fine even one got a way and i shot it down over him. SO hes coming along. I wouldnt go so far to say hes gun broke yet but hes pretty darn close. After the pigeons were gone i cut the wings off and taped them on to the bumper and threw some marks for him. Do u think i could do force hold with out doing ff. Thanks for all your help beau
Old 10-31-2005, 07:10 AM

Honestly, its pretty hard, you could possibly get more out of using attrition, than pressure, if you use pressure now without anything else being done, will be confusing to the dog, kinda like getting out of 5th grade and going to high school. See what i am saying? You can possibly get it to hold it, and retrieve to hand by trying this: Dog gets bumper, or bird, starts to come in kneel down and tell it good job,, or whatever. dog will read this as a good thing. If it gets to excited and spits bird out then don't say anything, pick up bird and through again. This time do what you done before but don't say anything to dog until its in your lap, if it holds, let it. Praise on it big time, then be done. For the day. Let the dog think bout what happened. Understand?? You can do this in the house also, its better if you have long hallway, do this to any pups i have in my kennel. Thats your call what you want is the dog to be excited about bringing the object to you, this is to be fun!! Don't try and make steady. Only thing, if you have dog to leave on name, let that sty same then it will all overlay in time. Remember we are teaching!! Patience, exspect full report later!! HAHAHA It'll be ok Cya Jonesy
Old 11-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: beau43

Took the dog out today with the piegons. He did great added a lil gun fire into the mix. He did fine even one got a way and i shot it down over him. SO hes coming along. I wouldnt go so far to say hes gun broke yet but hes pretty darn close. After the pigeons were gone i cut the wings off and taped them on to the bumper and threw some marks for him. Do u think i could do force hold with out doing ff. Thanks for all your help beau
You still haven't told us why you don't want to FF.
Formal Hold will definitely help, but FF is about MUCH more than a nice hold and delivery. It has a positive effect on anything and everything the dog does.

Quick Reply: intro to gunfire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.