Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

[Deleted]

Old 10-25-2002, 07:09 AM

Default RE: 5 month old around guns?

RUDE duck,

Thankyou for your imput. You sound like a real snot nose.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Caveman ,you're welcome. Oviously you don't know how to train ,othewise you would have never done what you did. As far as claping hands , pots and all that other hogwash while a pup's eating was long since disregarded by any competent trainer a long time ago. Sit down to dinner and have someone scare you unexspectedly and see how you like it.
A pup is ready to hunt as soon as he will follow basic commands and the sooner introduced to the field the quicker and easier the training becomes. A pup is ready for "serious" hunting anytime. The key is not to push a youngster beyound it's physical capabilities and training it's retained up to that point. I hunted grouse yesterday moring with my 6 month old Lab for 3 1/2 hours and covered roughly 3 miles. Was it serious hunting ? You bet! Did we both have a great time? Again yes!
Old 10-25-2002, 08:15 AM
Spike

Since when is suggesting getting a book to help with training RUDE?Books are written by folks who have WAY more knowledge on the subject then we do or we would be the ones writing those books.

Theres some very good advice here.And I'm one for introducing the gun early in a puppys life when there are in the field and in hot pursuit of a bird.When their desire is so intense all they want is to get to that bird 90%or more never even hear the gun fire.If introduction to the gun is done wrong ,you run the risk of having a Gunshy dog.What folks have to remember is gunshyness is NOT a inherited trait.Its caused my a simple mistake during the training process.Thats why those books are out there.Good luck,Take care Jackson..
Old 10-25-2002, 11:40 AM

Debate,,,, fine,,,,,,,,Name calling ,not good.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:08 PM

My appoligies to all. Everyone has their own way of doing things. Yes, I did make a mistake. I conditioned with loud noises during feeding just like "Waterdog" instructed but maybe took my dog out to live fire too soon. So, I do have a book.......and video for that matter. Maybe there are better ones out there. I just went with recommendations from other dog owners. My dog is 7 1/2 months old and is obiedent trained, knows whistle and hand commands, marks, and double and tripple retrieves beautifully. He knows when we are "serious" and when we are playing. We train do train with fun. As far as gunshy goes...he was over that after that after the first day to the gunrange. I have learned alot and still learn something everyday.

Ruddyduck.....I was being a snot nose myself. It's funny about text... you can never tell if someone's smiling when they are typing or not. Sounds like you know what you are doing. I recommend being a little more graceful about telling us all that we are incompatant trainers next time. I am always thankful for constructive criticism.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:53 AM

NAME CALLIN IS NOT WHERE IT'S AT, BUT RUDDYDUCK WAS WAY OUT OF LINE WITH HIS RESPONSE. LET'S KEEP THESE POSTS FUN TO READ WITH A LOT OF NEW INFORMATION FROM A LOT OF NEW FRIENDS AND OLD ONES. NOT EVERYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR IS GOING TO BE 100% RIGHT.-GOODEE-
Old 11-05-2002, 11:29 AM

There are other ways of getting your point across other than name calling or attacting another poster. There are MANY ideas on gun training dogs,Some dogs never have a problem with the noise and others will never be anything but gun shy. I had a black lab that I took out dove hunting at a very young age, she moved away from me at the first shot but soon was right next to me when I fired. I have a catch dog that runs whenever I get a gun out of the rack, I started my beagles in dove season and they dont have a problem with the gun at age 8 mos and they were 4mos the first time I shot over them. I have trained all my dogs in the same manner, my catahoulas come running to the sound of gun fire now. I think it all has to do with giveing the animal lots of loven after the shot and getting them to trust you, if you scare the heck out of them and get mad when they run off when you shoot and yell they will never like the sound. Thats only my way and it works for me, other ideas people have I will lisen to but if I dont agree with them dosent mean there wrong or that I will call them stupid for there way.