Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

how old is to old

Old 10-21-2005, 06:36 PM

Default how old is to old

here is my question i have a 3 1/2 year old chesapeke bay retriever and i was wondering if she was too old to learn how to be a good bird dog she is very smart and learns things fast and i was wondering should i take her to classes or what and info or links thank you all for any help you give
Old 10-22-2005, 01:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how old is to old

Do you hunt waterfowl? Try this link: http://www.prta.net/index.htmjust look for your state. I would imagine just OB training along with getting that prey drive and retrieve drive up. There is alot more people more knowledgeable than I. There are several books out there, ie. 10 min retriever, Wolters, etc.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:31 PM

Hey hows it going. I would not say that 3 and 1/2 is to old for that. B/c this is why i say that. Ive got a buddy that just trained a 7 year old blonde lab. Let me to ya that is one good dog ive started mine out when it was a pup and its almost 2 now. My dog still has a ways to catch up with his.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 AM

Get the dog into birds see his response, go to shoot preserve or get some yourself. If you kill, let the dog carry, don't be in hurry to get bird just causes chase game[:@], it'll drop it. Yea OB will help also. If it starts getting excited with birds ya got something to work with. Jonesy