Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Best Dog Food for my Hunting Dogs? >

Best Dog Food for my Hunting Dogs?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Best Dog Food for my Hunting Dogs?

Old 09-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best Dog Food for my Hunting Dogs?

Beans, how many pounds/protien/cost?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Spike

I feed Nutro Max Large Breed to my Labs. They do great on it, and it is reasonably priced for the amount of food consumed per day.

With some of the cheaper foods, there is more filler, so it takes more food to meet a dog's nutritional requirements. Also, more filler=more poop.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:46 PM

Rebel:

I feed the Chicken and Rice formula.
The stats are:

Crude protein - 25%
Crude Fat- 15%
Crude Fiber - 3.3%
Moisture - 10%
Linoleic Acid - 3%

I buy 20# bags, although 40# bags are available. I don't know this for a fact, but I would think that the larger bag would taste funny by the timemy doggot to the end. The last time I bought dog food it was just on special for about $13/bag. Normally, I think that it is around $15 or $16/bag.

Old 09-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds good!
Like $.64 per unit of protien.
40lbs for $13=$.33 per lb
Old 09-22-2005, 03:26 PM

Rebel:

No, maybe I miss understood you. I pay $13 for 20#, the 40# bag would be somewhere around $25 is my guess. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 09-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, not to bad!
20#@$13=$.65lb
40#@$25=$.63lb
Well I quess you have a point for keeping itfresher with the smaller
bag, but I was feeding 4 hog dogs.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:11 PM

Hog, your methodology on protein is beans. The Guaranteed Analysis on the Information Panel of the dog food label lists the minimum levels of crude protein and fat and the maximum levels of fiber and water. "Crude" refers to the total protein content, not necessarily the amount of protein that is actually digestible. For instance eggs are 100% digestible, meats such as chicken, beef and lamb are about 78% digestible and wheat, wheat gluten and corn are only slightly more than 50% digestible. You have to know what makes up the protein and then protein is not as important as fat in high-activity dogs.

Skinny hunting dogs are more often the result of feeding a food too low in fat content, not protein. It is impossible to select a good dog food by simply looking at the protein level and dividing by the cost.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Dog, did you look at the Proformance Chart?
I know that a feed has to be balanced. I have had hog dogs for almost 50yrs and bred dogs all my life.
I have a farm and feed cows,goats,sheep,rabbits,
horses, cats,dogs and chickens. If I have any questions on feeding, I go to the Agricultual Extension Service in my county and they set me straight.

Dog, how do you know if you are buying wisely for your money or being over charged for contents on feed? Years ago Purina gave me a calculating chart for
this purpose.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:41 PM

It's not an easy task from just reading the label. AAFCO regs require a manufacturer to list ingredients in descending order, by weight. However, the listings may be misleading. Suppose beef is listed as the first ingredient, causing you to think it is the primary ingredient. Look again. If it's followed by wheat flour, wheat germ, wheat middlings and so on, the combined wheat products may very well total much more than the beef and they aren't nearly as digestible.

A good dog man, which I suspect you are, can look at his dogs and tell slight differences in their conditions. Another good reason to put your hands on every dog every day while you are feeding them.

A good rule of thumb for a dog that runs a lot like a bird dog is close to 30% quality protein and 20% fat or over. If you're buying Iams or Science Diet, you're paying too much.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Dog, I agree with you.

Quick Reply: Best Dog Food for my Hunting Dogs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.