Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

X-bred Hunting Dogs?

Old 08-11-2005, 10:52 AM

Default X-bred Hunting Dogs?

I have a great young female GSP/Vizsla cross.

My son has her full brother and they are fun pheasant dogs (but arn't very keen on water).

Does anyone else hunt behind a cross-bred hunting dog?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:05 PM

Default RE: X-bred Hunting Dogs?

years ago, my male vizsla nailed my friends GSP and about four pups were whelped, one of the only males turned into a fine hunter, he recently passed, but his owner hunted him for over ten years.
Here's a photo of them as pups!

Old 08-11-2005, 07:06 PM

we nicknamed them V-Hairs

Old 08-11-2005, 07:09 PM

another friend of mine owns Brittnays, and he had his female in heat with us on a pheasant hunt one year, and my best friends male Vizsla nailed her, and this dog whelped close to ten 'Brizslas"
According to the owner of the Britt, all but one pup came out looking like Vizslas, he gave them all away!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:14 PM

what you know and recognize as "pure breds" at one time or another in their ancestry, they were crossed with another breed to acquire this or that trait the breeder deem necessary. Breed affecionados may not want to admit nor agree to this statement, but, its true, listen and watch the "Westminster" dog show some time, the annuoncer will give the history of several breeds that were crossed to another to develop what we now know today as "PURE"
Old 08-11-2005, 09:53 PM

Thanks. The pic of the "V-hair" above looks just like our dogs. They are a 1 & 1/2 years old and I'm excited to work birds on them. Worked and own alot of retrivers and flushers but not pointers. Should be interesting.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:05 PM

Reddog,

Them vizlas must be horny bastards !!! I guess I won't be hunting my female drahtaar with any V-males.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:47 PM

I've come to the conclusion that there is a lot of misconceptions about hunting dogs. Some guys say "Oh, this or that breed is the best dog for this and no other dog compares." That is a bogus statement. I hunt mountain curs, which are a very young breed as far as registries are concerned (1950s), but you can bet that before they started a breeders association, most of the dogs were mixed up mountain dogs bred to hunt anything. They are supposed to be treedogs and bay dogs and even cattle dogs, but heck, my male will point a covey of quail for you if he finds them...like a pro. The best breeding concept is breed good hunting dogs to good hunting dogs. Now within that, I think linebreeding (or distant inbreeding) is the best way to reproduce a consistent type of hunting dog. For example, any old treedog to any old treedog isn't as good of a cross as a good mountain cur mix mixed with it's good aunt or uncle. Make sense? Lots of crossbreeds make dogs. Good luck with yours. I bet they will turn out.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:31 AM

When I was a kid I had a dog, Charlie, that was half beagle and half brittany. He would run rabbits and point birds. If he spotted a rabbit he would point that too LOL. He was a notorius ground hog slaughterer as well. He would crawl on his stomach through the high grass and get between the hog and its hole and charge them. When he came in that night his weiner would be bright green from scooting through the grass! It was hysterical.