Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Is it possible to have a housepet hunting dog? >

Is it possible to have a housepet hunting dog?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Is it possible to have a housepet hunting dog?

Old 07-17-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Is it possible to have a housepet hunting dog?

I really like golden and labrador retrievers. I plan to have a house kept retriever some day, and I'm wondering if it would possible to bring it varmint hunting with me (like a canine hunting buddy). Assuming it was trained well enough that it would sit/lay/stay when I told it to, would it be ok to bring the dog on groundhog hunting trips? Would the groundhogs be scarred upon sight of the dog/sound of the bark?
Old 07-18-2005, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it possible to have a housepet hunting dog?

As long as your dog is properly trained, (no movement & no barking), the groundhogs shouldn't even notice there was a dog anywhere around.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:30 PM

I use my spoiled, couch-potato, bed-hogging Chessies to hunt most upland and some waterfowl. House dogs not being able to hunt is over-stated.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Actually, in my opinion, house dogs make better hunting dogs because they are more familiar with taking commands from you and they know when you're serious and when you're just playing around.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:40 PM

Since you don't seem to be referring to using the dog to actually hunt, just tag along on some varmint hunting, as long as you have a dog that listens there would be no reason to leave him home. Especially groundhogs. Switch to coyotes or other varmints you may want to be sure of your control over the dog.

If you are seeking companionship while hunting, you really should consider using that golden or lab to hunt birds.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:35 PM

My dog is one of the best dogs around the house, and in the woods. He is the biggest baby when in side but as soon as that door opens he is a hunting machine, ya cant stop him. I have read lots of books on dog training and some of the best trainers sware by having the dog be a full time pet. Dogs are social animals and are loyal to there owners, I would rather have a dog that has bonded with me then on that I feed threw a fence.

Ihunted with 2 cennel rased wire hair pointes in North Dakota and they could have cared less if there owner was even on thehunt, way to indipendent for me.

3 mounths out of the year my dog is a hunting dog the other mounths he is just a dog.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 PM

which dog would you like to hunt with. one that spends tons of time with you in the house running free and is treated like a family member and knows what you are asking him to do. or one that sits outback always tied upand you throw dog food to once a day. the more time you spend with them the smarter they get. without question my dogs are smarter than some people. if you don't believe me just watch the jerry springer show someday.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:40 PM

When I got our GSP puppy I was warned not to let her be an indoor pet or she would be worthless as a hunter. The boys wouldn't have anything to do with that idea though and have spoiled her rotten. Nonetheless, when we get in the field she is fantastic. The fun thing is, she ignores my hunting buddies but will do anything my 10 year old or I tell her to do!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:56 PM

it would seem a little bit of a waste to own a golden or lab and not use it to its potential, but, to each his own!
As far as a hunting bred dog being a house dog, again to each his own, but, I wouldn't have it any other way. I've owned Vizslas for 25 years now, and they all have lived in the house, slept IN bed, ours, not theirs, have eaten at the table, lay on the couches, chairs whatever!
When its time to hit the uplands, they've been all business, I'd bore you to death with the tales I could spin regarding these dogs! They've loved kids, my own, and now my grandkid, but, at the same time, will defend us and their domain without regard!
You should be able to train or have trained your dog to be the plinking companion you mention, I just wish you had ideas of making it your upland and waterfowl companion! It'll change your life, for the better IMHO!
Old 08-11-2005, 06:02 AM

My 3 1/2 year old black lab is a great hunting dog when it is time to hunt. The rest of the time, she's in whatever room we occupy! Hogs the couch, sleeps with us......there is one problem tho[] She sheds year round and I have lab bunnies (not dust bunnies) in every room that she goes in. So make sure you have a good vacuum cleaner..... That is the only "con" that I know of regarding a hunting dog as part of the family. My grown kids are jealous of the love and attention she gets.....especially the steaks and table scraps that she gets....

She is much smarter than alot of people that I know....

Quick Reply: Is it possible to have a housepet hunting dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.