Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

GSP

Old 08-11-2005, 08:39 PM

Default RE: GSP

a lot of good advice has been rendered here, as long as you intend to hunt your new pup, and train it, then by all means you should do what's necessary to get your parents to give in and condone a pup!
If not, wait till the day you don't have to ask permission to get one, you've got a long life ahead of yourself, so try not to be in a hurry. You may be going off to college and leaving your dog to your parents or siblings, and they may or may not share the love you'll bestow on this pup/dog!
Dogs are a committment like children, they need tons of love and care, and abandoment is not part of the equation!
The GSP is one of the finest hunting/sporting breeds on earth, and if hunting is your intentions, do more research and insure yourself of getting a hunting bred specimen!
Most sporting breed dogs are going to be "hyper" until they mature, which will usually take upwards of three years of age! So, all the puppy tribulations are going to occurr with any breed!
good luck, I hope you make the correct decisions for all concerned, and especially the dog!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:57 PM

Default RE: GSP

I got my first hunting dog about a year ago, right before my senior year in college, and I hunted him a lot his first fall. My parents weren't thrilled, but it worked out. Then, just about a month ago, now that I'm graduated and living in my own place, I got another!! They are great, but they are a lot of responsibility. They can't take care of themselves. By the way, you don't need a big yard all the time. Dogs just need a kennel area most of the time with vigorous excercise. If you get a GSP and just let it have the yard, you will have no yard and your parents will be angry. Set up a nice 10x10 foot kennel your dog can call home with a house and his feed/water bowl station. It's a place to leave him while you are at school (he would lie around all day until you got home anyway) where he can stay safe and secure and out of your mothers daisys. Then in the afternoons, you can run the fire out of him. I don't even have a fenced yard, just two kennels out back and an open area to run them in when I get home. Good luck.