HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   If your a coon hunter then read this... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/104838-if-your-coon-hunter-then-read.html)

born2hunt 07-06-2005 11:14 PM

If your a coon hunter then read this...

Alright someone told me today that the most popular dog and best for coon hunting was a redbone ... I laughed of course and didnt make a big deal of it and jus said well bring your redbone to Ohio and you can try to put him against a real dog..

Maybe it is just me but I prefer the best and I prefer Walkers..

SWOSUMike 07-06-2005 11:42 PM

RE: If your a coon hunter then read this...

born2hunt,
You said "maybe it's just me," and I think you are right, there, but nowhere else in your post. That is a very bold statement, and very opinionated, and very unmeasurable. You cannot pinpoint the best dog for coon. Here's one that will really make you laugh if you laughed at a redbone, but I would bet there are some mountain curs that could put the whoop on a walker. Why do I say this? Well, it's an opinion. It is my understanding that mountain curs are far less stubborn than hounds, handle easier, and hunt more with brains, ears, eyes and nose as opposed to just their nose. Now, this is just an opinion, so I would not laugh at anyone who says their redbone (or walker) are the best. Take a look at this link as an example. If it doesn't work than type it in. Scroll down a little and take a look at the work these old curs can do. You will still prefer your walkers, because they are what you have and love, but maybe you'll gain some insight into why people like what they have, and maybe don't laugh at them when they say what they like. Picking the dogs you like is part of what makes hunting fun, and bashing the other guy for not hunting your breed makes absolutely no sense at all. It's about whateach hunter likes for himself. There is a real chance your buddy's redbone could smoke your redbone, you never know;) http://castlehillmtncurs.homestead.com/

born2hunt 07-06-2005 11:52 PM

First of all I dont have a redbone ... I own a Walker and never will change. Like u said I have a walker and love walkers so im gona stick up for my dogs. And definitely give my word. But let him put the redbone on the line against my walker. I have won my fair share of trophies to prove that he is a hell of a dog and no one can take that away from him. But Im not gona listen to someone run there jaw saying redbones are the best when it comes ot coon hunting. If I liked them I would probly have my whole back windowed covered in redbone stickers instead of walker stickers. But truthfully I could careless about what a redbone can do. Maybe you say I take to much pride in my dog. Well I dont think that at all. But yes i do take pride in my dog and im not saying he is the best or anything. Hell there probly is a redbone out there that is better than my Walker. But you just dont go running your jaw off about it especially when you know the other person hunts with Walkers.

If you want to see how a coonhound should tree then check this out. Then you will see why I choose nothing else!

www.roanokeriverkennels.com

gobblerheaven 07-07-2005 12:16 AM

Im with you born2hunt. I hunt Walkers and wont change as long as I live. lol i liked the whole if i liked redbones my backwindow would be covered in that instead of walker stickers. thats pretty funny. But as for what I think I'm thinking on the same lines as you are...

SWOSUMike 07-07-2005 01:07 AM

born2hunt,
I didn't ever say you should not be proud of your dogs....I'm simply saying that each hunter should pick what they like to hunt and let other hunters do the same. There is no real need to stick up for your dog...if you think he's good, that is all that matters. Hunt him and enjoy him.

SWOSUMike 07-07-2005 01:18 AM

Here is another good treedog photo. Thisdog, I believe, is owned by a guy named Mark Morrison. This pup is puttin' it to em,' ehttp://www.sqdog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30610&hl=h?

born2hunt 07-07-2005 10:17 AM

SWOSU did you check out the dogs on www.roanokeriverkennels.com yet?

charlie brown 07-07-2005 10:42 AM

I think you need to re-read your PM there born2 hunt. I PM'd you stating what seems to be the most popular around here for Mountain Lions is a Redbone Hound!!! NOT COONS!! That's where I had the reference to stray cats, for training for Mountain Lions. Then I said it would probably be Walkers and then Blueticks for the next popular breeds around here for Mountain Lions, NOT COONS!! And then Black and Tans, Plotts, and Redticks!! For Mountain Lions!! Read your messages better before starting an argument that is off the subject completely.

born2hunt 07-07-2005 12:31 PM

I wasnt even talkin bout you there Charlie BROWN!!!!!!!!
My buddy I work with lives in WV and said his redbone could out hunt my walker so get your **** straight!

born2hunt 07-07-2005 12:34 PM

I live in Ohio there charlie brown so I could careless about a damn mountain lion!.. If i wanted to start something with you I would but why and the hell do you go trying to say I was talking bout you. Hell I could careless about your redbone. Hell I even gave ya a compliment on him. Come to ohio and you will see that there are no mountain lions so therefore why the hell do I care if your dog hunts for mountain lions or coon.. EXACTLY - you run you jaw before you get the story strait!