Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Attacked by a damn Dog today >

Attacked by a damn Dog today

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Attacked by a damn Dog today

Old 06-04-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Attacked by a damn Dog today

Two Rotweillers attacked me today. Only 1 bit me - but they were running in a pack. 3.5 hrs in the ER after and ambulance ride. Broke my shoulder too (diving over a fence to get away from em). In all my life I have never met a dog that didnt take to me. These bastar#s ran me down from across the neighborhood - with vengance in their eyes. I had no chance. Tororrow will be different....I'll be locked and loaded looking for some 12 Ga. payback.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Attacked by a damn Dog today

"WOW"..!!!!!!...Glad to here your O.K...I'd have a 12 ga. with me also.....but not after the dog's....but the owner's that raised em..[:@]
Old 06-05-2005, 02:03 AM
Typical Buck

You have legal means of payback. Lawyers love those open and shut cases. If anything, let the owners pay for your medical bills.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:40 AM

IMHO, there are breeds of dogs just too dangerous to be around people. Rotties are one of those breeds. I am sure there are going to be people that will disagree, but I have seen dogs I know to be raised by good dog owners that are too aggressive with strangers and frankly if the dog gets loose everyone they come in contact with is at risk of being attacked.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

jashoffa
IMHO, it totally disagree with what you just said......rotties are sweet dogs, my sister has one and she is the sweetest thing...i believe it's the peoples fault, it's how they are raised...they can get these dogs around strangers/friends more, to get the used to it,kinda improving on their social skills....first sign of aggression and the owners should teach them it's wrong......food aggression, people aggression or other dog aggression can all handled if it is nipped in the butt early as a pup....or at least controlled to some extent....if not then it's the owners duty to make sure they have protected others against anything happening......

i'm sorry you got attacked......i hope you deal with the owners, make them pay your medical bills....
Old 06-06-2005, 12:05 PM

huntnma,
Actually, certain breeds are bred with more aggression than others, and it's not necessarily controllable. Can you teach a beagle to not use it's nose? No, you cannot.
They are bred to hunt, and even the ones that don't have much hunt in them will use that nose and bawl-mouth like a hound. Same with aggression or any other trait that has been bred in through artificial selection. Pit bull are aggressive dogs becuase they were bred to fight. How do you think they got the reputation they have? It is becuase they are generally aggressive dogs becuase of the way they were bred. Rotties' used to be the choice dog of people who handled money, I believe. They'd put their money in a barrel around the dog's neck, and I can bet you it was not because they were little sweethearts. It was becuase of their traits. Sure they are always exceptions, and of course breeding for aggression has generally seen its last day, but it takes a lot to completely breed a trait out of a breed. I don't think the rott breed as a whole has reached that point. Maybe some strains or lines, but not all of them. Oh well, just a thought.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Good points. Dogs are bred for specific purposes. Rotts were originally bred for driving cattle. The butcher would pick up a small herd and then leave the dog to guard the shop & money while he was outback butchering. The ones I've met have all been sweet beyond belief, but nonetheless they are a large powerful dog that can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and they are popular which propagates bad breeding. Pits can be sweet dogs as well, but they were bred to fight. Don't forget that there are many other breeds that have problems with agression, but never get the publicity because they aren't as popular.

Bottom line, regardless of it's breed, a dangerous dog is a dangerous dog and sadly enough we have to put the dog down in stead of the owners.

Spud
Old 06-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ouch is all i can say. I got bite in the fingers by a 6 month old pitbull. SHe knew my voice but just instinct took over when someone was on her 'turf'. I feel bad for doing this but the only i could get her to let go was hititng her in the throat. I didn't need any sticthes or anything but i learned my lesson on that one. The owner is a friend of mine and he thought at first I was going to turn in the dog since out here any type of attack is a big deal. I wasn't going to because it was my fault for being careless.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the learning lesson,i will withdrawl my first statement, lol.... but to say that the whole breed isn't good around people isn't true, i still dont think it's the dogs fault, i think it's the owners.....they should of kept them confined....interaction with other dogs and humans is important, i dont care what ya say, lol.....
Old 06-07-2005, 06:28 AM

I think we are now learning the lesson of what happens when dogs are bred poorly. Pit bulls, when used in the pit for fighting, have to be handled by strangers. Pits are not man aggressive if bred properly. Rots were bred to know when to turn on and off. The problem is there are so many back-yard breeders for both breeds, because they are macho, who don't know what the proper temperment is. They breed the meanest to the meanest instead of the best to the best. When this country was breeding 1000 rots a year, there were NO temperment problems. Now there are 10,000 rots a year being bred and we have problems. It's the idiot backyard breeders and the owners who are terrified of their dogs that are the problems. I was walking my kids dog at a park in KC, Mo and there was a gentelman there with an Akita which out weighed him. He could no more control the dog than he could fly. Consequently we had problems. The guy had no business owning an Akita he couldn't control. He couldn't enforce any command because he couldn't get the dog's attention. This was a dog out of control. I am sure the rot owner was in the same boat.

Dr Fatguy

Quick Reply: Attacked by a damn Dog today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.