Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Attacked by a damn Dog today >

Attacked by a damn Dog today

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Attacked by a damn Dog today

Old 06-07-2005, 11:05 AM

Default RE: Attacked by a damn Dog today

SOme dogs are just mean. I'm having my 8yo lab/pitt/dalmation mix put down because he's so aggressive. I did everything I could to socialize him as a pup, but it didn't work. I now live in a neighborhood with a lot of young children running around. I'm terrified that he'll get loose and chew up a kid.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:04 PM

This is just what I am talking about. What temperment could a individual have guessed this dog would have? There are three breeds here. The most aggressive is the Dalmatian, the lab would add prey drive and the pit would make it scary because of the tenacity of the breed. Some animals can't be socialized. The dog needs to be culled. This dog isn't the product of a responsible breeder.

Dr Fatguy
Old 06-07-2005, 11:40 PM

iloveto4x4innc,
I am sorry about your loss. After 8 years, it would be hard to put down your buddy. My parents have a dog that is all mixed up with some herder and other breeds. He is not aggressive but he is a nervous wreck. Scared of car rides, jumps on the doors and fences and has a fit when anything out of the ordinary is going on. He needs someone to teach him not to get fixated on certain things for so long that make his behavior unbalanced. I don't blame my parents, he's just naturally nervous. Now, I am going to do my best to bring some balance to the ole' pup's life with some techniques I know, and I think I can teach my parents how to maintain the balance once I get him to obtain it. I am going to use some shock collar work that I know. My mountain cur was out of hand until I taught him to come with the shock collar. For some reason, teaching him to come and reinforcing it with a shock collar made all the difference in the world. Within a short time, he was listening better in all aspects and was more attentive and able to learn new commands as a result. That's my theory, anyway. Just the one command managed to give me so much control. Now I can tell my dog "whoa," even if he's quite a ways ahead of me and off a lead, and he will stop and wait or slow to a creepy crawl until I catch up. He's young and so he's still a little trashy, but the other day I called him straight off a cottontail rabbbit, and he turned right back to me. Now of course he shouldn't be chasing rabbits, but he didn't know that. When I told him not to, he did a 180. Before the "come" command with reinforcement, I could tell him to come and he wouldn't listen at all. He was to where he'd range out too far in the woods and wouldn't check in. When he was in sight, he wouldn't come right to me on command, but did as he chose. I wouldn't get out of the woods until I caught him, making for bad experiences in the woods, which is not what a young hunting pup needs. Going to the woods became an intimidating thing where I was scared to lose sight of him or let him go, which is also really bad for a tree dog pup. Once I gained control in one area, I was able to establish balance in so many other areas. I won't swear by a shock collar, but they just so happened to work for me, granted I used one carefully. Dogs need to be controllable, so you are likely doing the right thing with your dog. Still, I am sorry you are having to lose your friend. It is no fun. Try a squirrel dog Owners should follow your example and cull dogs that are aggressive. It's a combination of heredity and environment, but even the most carefully raised dogs with aggressive traits can snap. I will add, though, that dominance and aggression are two entirely different traits in my opinion. Dominance can be settled, that is a law in nature, but true aggression is a different thing altogether.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:35 AM

My wife and I run a Beagle and Coonhound Rescue. I our 8 years of rescue we have dealt with nearly every breed you can think of and have worked with "professionals" in the nearly every aspect of animals...from breeding...to hunting...to welfare. Genetics is a major influence in a dog's demeanor. Just as huntnma said...can you train a Beagle not to scent? Actually you can....not that you would want to...the point is that while you CAN train a Beagle not to scent, you CANNOT train them not to WANT to scent! Genetics is a major influence. It is an influence that is mismanaged and ignored by far too many inexperienced and backyard breeders. Bad breeding mixed with inproper training/care with a bit of genetic influence gives us dogs like the Rotties who attacked. As much as I hate to admit it and as much as some other rescuers would ream me for saying this...these are two dogs who need to be put down. There are far too many perfectly good dogs rotting away in shelters (as many as 4 million) for anyone to spend any time or effort on unreliable dogs with these kind of behavioral issues. These dogs will do this again. I would also guess them to be siblings. Our experience with Rotties has always been good. They are, when well bred and cared for, big teddy bears. These two dogs were either trained to be aggresive or guard dogs, or come from an unreliable bloodline. The lawyer was the best suggestion I have heard. I am not one for suing and I hate lawyers, but...there has to be some consequence for people who have dogs like these. I guarantee this will not be the first time the dogs have shown agression...whether the owner admits it or not.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:06 PM

We had a rott that was 2 yrs old. One day out of the blue he attacked one of the cats and tore it to shreds. he had always been around us, kids and other people. He was like a gentle giant. He used to play with the cats and they would even eat out of the same bowl. the cat walked past him as he was lying on the floor and boom. So, you can't always say that it is the owners fault. We don't mistreat our animals. he started getting more and more aggressive and then we saw some odd behavior out of him. We had taken him to the vet several times and they finally did some different tests that showed that he was having seizured that we were not witnessing. We were told that this was probably the cause for the aggression and the changes that we had seen. He kept getting worst and we had to put him down. Don't always blame the owners until you know what all is going on.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Appreciate the comments and I do blame the owners not the breed. I have known other Rotties to be well mannered and socially kind. The 2 that ran me down and tore up my leg and arm were not. In an attempt to get away from them I dove over a 4 1/2 foot chain link fence. That escape blew my shoulder out and MRI confirms a complete rotator cuff tear. I'm headed for surgery and 6 - 12 months of rehab. Dr's have forbidden me to shoot skeet, guns or even attempt to draw my bow.

Those dogs took more from me than I can adequately explain. They took away my next deer season. Need I say more?
Old 06-11-2005, 08:27 AM

The dog owners are at fault, plain and simple! I have 14 dogs and they are contained and checked on twice a day. I have control of my dogs and would expect if one got out and hurt someone there wouldnt be a need for the injured person to sue me because I would pay all medical caused by the animal,and as much as i would hate it ,put the animal down.

Go after the owners , the fault lies in them.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:59 AM

i got attaced by a boxer once and it wasen't Fun i feel ya
Old 06-11-2005, 10:39 AM

Of course the owners are at fault I would have been leaving the hospital with a smile on my face going right to the attorney's office, man don't do anything foolish they will turn it around on you and make it look like it is your fault. GO GET AN ATTORNEY.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:10 PM

I dont care for rotts. I own some pittbulls but they have never showed aggression towards people. Ive had more trouble with chiahauas and last year my hand was tore up by a german sheppard. I think german sheppards are pretty aggressive also.

Quick Reply: Attacked by a damn Dog today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.