Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog of choice and why

Old 06-06-2005, 01:34 PM

Default RE: Dog of choice and why

GSP is the breed for me!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

I'll take my Llewellins, thank you very much. Great noses, close working, affectionate, and over a hundred years of faithful breeding.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:15 AM

I have an english setter i dont think the breed is as important as the personality all hunting breeds have great dogs so when i decided i wanted a dog first i decided how much i would spend well that didnt mean much i would spend as much as it took to get what i wanted so i started reading and looking at all the breeds i found plenty of great dogs and started going to breaders and compatitions i only had a few things i had to have in the dog 1st the dog had to get along with other animals not hard for bird dogs 2nd had to be a family dog the most important was the dog had to have the right personality well i finaly found one she is a real sweat heart she is a well started meat hunter and the best part is i got her for $250 i would have paid a lot more if i had to i saved for a year expecting to spend around 1000-3000 for a dog this whole process took around a year and a half so now with my extra money ill send her to a trainer and join the local quail hunting preserve for the next couple years
Old 06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Bowhuntinoh,
Aren't they great? Of course, Llewellins are just another strain of English setter. My puppy shows signs he's going to a be a great hunter, more hunter than I can handle. My next choice would have been an English setter but with AKC show lines mixed in with some it would have taken too much research to weed them out. And some breeders will tell you anything to sell you a puppy.

So, by picking a Llewellin, its a no brainer. Did you know Teoka Mtn. has a pure Llewellin in its background?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:41 PM

German Shorthair Pointer is my dog. 4 years old and not too wired/wild. Enormously trainable, undying enthusiasm, never ending energy, genetically predisposed to birds, wonderful watchdogs and the best family companion any father could want. My daughter dresses her up in doll clothes and pushes her around in a baby stroller one day and I take her into the nastiest briars and thornapple for pheasant the next. What a GREAT dog!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:53 PM

I have to say my GSP. She is the most reliable well rounded dog I have had. She doesn't have an agressive bone in her body unless she is protecting me, she was an easy pup and barely chewed, easy to house break, great with kids, very smart. Mostly she has a heck of a personality, extreemly affectionate, and very birdy. I would have to say GSP all the way!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

The dog of choice would depend on the kind of living situation I find myselfin. What I mean is depending one where you're living and the kind of work schedule it will have a big influence on the breed of the pet. In some cases I recommend to people that they are too busy to have a pet. How many of you know someone that has a pet that is never paid attention to, and basically in some cases lives on a chain only to be fed and watered. That to me is a crime. That person does not have time for that dog, or refuses to make the time.

If all is equal in the world, I have to give my vote to the Labrador Retriever. They are great hunting dogs, water dogs, and family pets. Their only draw back is they shed hair year round I swear. Also they are sometimes not the most graceful animal as they walk through the house with their otter type tail cleaning off all the tables, etc from intense wagging. Like many breeds, but labs especially, you have to watch their weight. They are always looking for food. They will wander around outside unsupervised and eat most anything that can be eaten. They become almost comical at times trying to bend the heart strings for a cookie or a snack. But when it comes to absolute devotion to their family they are sure hard to beat.

Also something I never knew but learned recently, they are very protective of their family. Even the happy go lucky, love to see everyone that comes around ones... threatena family member and that sweet loving puppy can get down right nasty.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Labrador.Excells on water, hunts upland, smart, great personalities and wonderful with the family. All which explains why labs have been the #1 AKC registered dog numerous consecutive years.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:31 AM

Catahoula curr for deer, hogs, they will also hunt birds and smaller fur bearing mammels. They were started in the 1800s for hearding cattle in La. They are cousens of the mountian curr as noted in another post. Catahoulas were bred for hearding . It didnt take long for the owners to see there hunting ability and were then used to run hogs out of swamp areas so to put meat on the table. Many hog farmers turned there hogs out so they didnt need to feed them but soon needed to have a way to gather them up when the hogs went wild.

I also run a pack of Beagles for rabbits, these little hounds sound like a big hound when running but its a much slower race and makes it easer to bag the bunnies. I have 8 running Beagles,and 4 Catahoulas. I havent noticed my males acting and diff. than my females, they hit the ground running,all of them. My males do pee but my females do it also if there isnt and game sent in the area around my dog box.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:54 AM

Put me down for Deutsch-Drahthaar. The real one. It has been breed in Germany to be an all around hunting dog to include upland game, waterfoul, and deer. It will flush, retrieve, and track. A good one can take the place of several other specialized dogs. I will be getting one in the next couple of years. I am letting old habits die with the dogs.

Quick Reply: Dog of choice and why

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.