HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/specific-turkey-tips-tactics-107/)
-   -   Bowhunting Turkey Advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/specific-turkey-tips-tactics/379213-bowhunting-turkey-advice.html)

MIZ_hunter7 02-20-2013 06:55 AM

Bowhunting Turkey Advice

I'm going after birds this spring with a bow. I obviously plan to use a ground blind and decoys to get the bird close without being noticed. But I was wondering if anyone had some other tips to share, or insight. Also what broadhead do you prefer? I'm looking at going with the Magnus Bullhead. I understand I'll have to use different arrows for it. But from everything I've seen, head shots are 100% most effective, and the Bullhead has great review.
Thanks guys!

2eagles 02-20-2013 04:23 PM

Why don't you go to Youtube and search for some bow hunting turkey videos? Some are quite helpful and you will learn a lot. I'm not ready to try turkey hunting with my bow quite yet even though it sounds like fun.

Timbrhuntr 02-20-2013 05:23 PM

Here is a good video for shot placement I saw it on another forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9z7wb-iv5U

Also if going with the bullheads you may need longer arrows to avoid hitting your rest and this could affect the spine.

And if you do get them make sure you test them by shooting into something soft like a pillow so you don't damage the head.

Funny thing I plan on stopping in Missouri and Iowa this spring to try and wack one also good luck.

2eagles 02-21-2013 05:16 AM

Timbr,
That's a great video. Thanks!
By the way, what's so funny about coming to Iowa to shoot a turkey? :devil:

Good luck!!

Timbrhuntr 02-21-2013 05:27 AM

I hope its not funny because the laugh will likely be on me.

I meant it was funny as in weird because I plan on hunting in Missouri and Iowa and both other posters one in Missouri and the other in Iowa.:hit:

14 ga 02-21-2013 06:26 AM

bullhead

i have had horrible luck with the bullhead but have not given up. things that i have found: screw them on really tight or use glue as they may unscrew in flight and break when they hit. use a 4 fletch and 5" feathers, longer shaft, probably stiffer also, they fly nice but only if you have enough feather to spin them. i have also hit 3 birds in the neck, all under 15 yards and all three bounced off, one cause the head came unscrewed. i shoot either a 47 # recurve or a 50# compound and that seems too light to make a bullhead work, don't know what lb. those in the video's shoot but bet it is much heavier, yet the hits mostly stops their arrows also. magnus is a terrible company to try and talk too, they just don't give a damn, mostly won't even respond

cheers

Timbrhuntr 02-21-2013 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by 14 ga (Post 4037758)
i have had horrible luck with the bullhead but have not given up. things that i have found: screw them on really tight or use glue as they may unscrew in flight and break when they hit. use a 4 fletch and 5" feathers, longer shaft, probably stiffer also, they fly nice but only if you have enough feather to spin them. i have also hit 3 birds in the neck, all under 15 yards and all three bounced off, one cause the head came unscrewed. i shoot either a 47 # recurve or a 50# compound and that seems too light to make a bullhead work, don't know what lb. those in the video's shoot but bet it is much heavier, yet the hits mostly stops their arrows also. magnus is a terrible company to try and talk too, they just don't give a damn, mostly won't even respond

cheers

I find this very interesting. When I first bought the bullhead it was the first year they came out and I shot them into a regular target.I busted the heads so I contacted Magnus about it. This was before they realized you needed to shoot into a soft target and when they were saying you could use the 100g for body shots. I contacted Magnus and they were awesome to deal with. They even sent me all new heads and a spare set of blades.

2eagles 02-21-2013 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr (Post 4037745)
I hope its not funny because the laugh will likely be on me.

I meant it was funny as in weird because I plan on hunting in Missouri and Iowa and both other posters one in Missouri and the other in Iowa.:hit:

I knew what'cha meant. I was just picking at you.

AR_TailHunter 02-21-2013 09:41 AM

Awesome video with good information!

Timbrhuntr 02-21-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2eagles (Post 4037810)
I knew what'cha meant. I was just picking at you.

You guys from Iowa are funny :sheep:

Just checked the mail and my Iowa tag has arrived :party0007: