Community
Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

Bowhunting Turkey Advice

Old 03-16-2013, 04:31 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I am bound and determined to use the Xbow I have now. Have taken too many with the ole shotgun!
That video was great!

And is why I am moving it to the Refernce section! Well done!

Dave......JW
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Spike

Someone may of already mentioned this. Practice from different yardages, also shoot from a sitting/kneeling position. If the bird happens to be super close, you may need to shoot a longer yardage pin. Due to your arrow not having time to rise yet. At close ranges, you may need to shoot your 30 or 40 yard pin. Also pay attention to your stabilizer while drawing in a blind. Lots of birds get spooked when drawing in a blind and the stabilizer hits the front of the blind. Maybe even take it off. Check out the Tom o hawk broadheads also. Those guillotine heads usually tend to flare past 20-25 lbs, unless you turn your bow down.

Last edited by tankdogg60; 03-17-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Spike

I've been doing my homework and I'm just going to shoot my mechanical Rage blades. I feel more comfortable I think with taking a body shot and at least doing damage that way, rather than missing the head all together. Maybe one day I'll get cocky and try that shot but for now I'm gonna go for a body shot. Lots of good advice though coming from you guys.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I got 3 Magnus 2 3/4" cut Magnus Bullheads in and will practice with them. I like the DVD that comes with them as that guy uses an egg as a target. If you can hit the egg - you
can take the head off! If I miss a few - that is okay as I know I can hit the body.

So I will come back and report my practices.....I am new to this Xbow and have been out of bow hunting over 35 yrs. So this is a great challenge.....a shot gun has become too easy.

DAve...JW
Old 04-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Spike

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HaAIMdSBm4s&feature=plpp.

This is an interesting perspective on where to aim when bowhunting turkeys.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:10 AM
Spike

Good luck, here is a good article I found for hunting turkeys with a bow but without a blind!
http://www.headhunterstv.com/bowhunt...n-the-shadows/
Old 04-11-2017, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

See if you can find a guilitine head , and good luck , I'm waiting for birds and would of had mine if I had a shotgun yesterday . I had a single tom , ignored my calls and stayed just far enough to live . Hope it changes later this mornin . Good Luck buddy