Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

Bowhunting Turkey Advice

Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default bullhead

i have broken 4 bullheads all shooting at turkey or a pillow. all were returned to magnus and were replaced. two letters and three emails were sent to the company and the guy in charge their engineering. forgot his name, not one of the 5 attempts to contact him were successful. i believe that they have changed the design from the early one's. basically they just kissed my off, they could have told me the heads were unscrewing in flight and their thread system was so weak that it couldn't stand a hit. they did change that part however but still could have communicated with me. i have a bunch of their bullheads but would never buy anything else from them cause of that.

cheers
Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try Montec,I plan to try them on turkeys with my crossbow.They worked great on deer.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I as well am going to try a bow for my first turkey this spring as well. I am going to use my deer rig and change my 1-3/8ths cut GrimReaper to 2" cut GR's and not change anything else. Have NO DOUBT that I will get pass through!!!! Staying with 64lb draw. Pop up blind and K&H Pretty Boy and Girl dekes. Will see what happens.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 AM
Spike

From what I've read you don't want a pass through on a body shot. It's better to use a dull broadhead so the arrow will stay in the bird and do more damage. Gonna try my luck with it this year with a bow as well.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default broadhead

dont' believe the dull broadhead and no pass through stuff. it's pure hogwash, stupid besides. with the 64 # bow and an average size broadhead you might get a pass through on some birds but don't count on it. look at some of the turkey video's, most of those guys don't seem to be getting pass throughs. i am shooting an arrow, 2016 going right at 200 fps and i surely don't, maybe 300 fps might, don't know, can't pull it back. that was with a recurve, my compound goes about 225 and that doesn't either

cheer
Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wetley49
From what I've read you don't want a pass through on a body shot. It's better to use a dull broadhead so the arrow will stay in the bird and do more damage. Gonna try my luck with it this year with a bow as well.
I will MUCH rather have either that 1-3/8ths or 2" cut blowing through, RAZOR sharp and hopefully sticking in the dirt on the other side. If not, at least that razor sharp broadhead will be doing its job of cutting all the major vessels needed to do its job cleanly and humanely as possible. And at just nearly 300fps, I doubt it will stay in them.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Spike

Anyone have experience with the Rage turkey broadheads?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Spike

Great video. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default pass through

to 2nd chance, you might just need it if you think you are going to get a pass through. actually what would be nice is to have a bunch of you guy's out there that shoot turkey with the bow is to comment, one the weight you use and if you are shooting through the body of an adult turkey. watched some more video the other day, don't know what lbs. they are pulling but rarely are they getting pass throughs. don't know the heads either. been my experience that at about 50 lb. with what you would call a normal 3 blade head, i don't even come close and i have hit 10 now all at under 15 yds. speak up will ya time is getting close.

cheers
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 14 ga
to 2nd chance, you might just need it if you think you are going to get a pass through. actually what would be nice is to have a bunch of you guy's out there that shoot turkey with the bow is to comment, one the weight you use and if you are shooting through the body of an adult turkey. watched some more video the other day, don't know what lbs. they are pulling but rarely are they getting pass throughs. don't know the heads either. been my experience that at about 50 lb. with what you would call a normal 3 blade head, i don't even come close and i have hit 10 now all at under 15 yds. speak up will ya time is getting close.

cheers
What poundage are you shooting and what broadhead might answer some of you dilemma.
I am shooting a Mathews Drenalin at 64#, 29-1/2" draw, QAD Ultra rest with a Gold Tip Velocity XT, weighing 356grns with 100grn GrimReaper head. Chronies at 297 fps with an energy rating at nearly 70 lbs. Clean pass throughs on deer out to 50 +yds. Have never shot a turkey yet, but with what I have experienced on deer, hogs, mulies, bear and elk. I don't feel a turkey will be of much a problem
Alot of people take their deer hunting rigs and turn them down to 50 or so lbs to be able to draw it easier so as not to be fighting a heavier draw in a blind and then may have to hold it for some lengthy time. And this may explain why you are not seeing the pass throughs like you feel you should be seeing. With being able to pass my GR's through a new steel drum for S&G's at 18yds for a test of its endurance, I still don't believe that a 15-20lb turkey will pose me much problems.

Last edited by SecondChance; 03-01-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.