HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/specific-turkey-tips-tactics-107/)
-   -   locating birds "my style" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/specific-turkey-tips-tactics/360226-locating-birds-my-style.html)

bfran134 03-13-2012 09:39 AM

locating birds "my style"

I live on a 70 acre farm and I have been hunting bird's for the last 9 years. A tip I use to locate birds! Throw away the crow call and the owl hoot!!! Go buy an AIR HORN and give it a hoot!!! Ive located so many birds and killed some big Pa long beards. Last year was 11 1/4 in beard with 1" 1/2 spurs. Once i locate the birds I slide in within a 100 yds and set up Mr. B mobile that i replaced with a jake fan and snipped the beard down to about 2 inches. i set 2 hens out with him and the birds just cant resist!!! Good luck to all you turkey hunters Hope this tip works just as well as it does for me!!! gobble gobble gobble!!!!

ShawnD 03-24-2012 07:26 AM

I don't know if I'll do the air horn idea, but the decoy setup wounds pretty killer. Good luck on your property and following seasons.

UncleNorby 04-23-2012 07:36 AM

I find that a crow call works well, but you really have to hammer at it several times. Just blowing the call to sound like a crow won't often work.

I'd imagine the air horn would work. Something to keep in mind, especially when hunting new areas that get some hunting pressure. A new sound can work when other common locators won't.

RockyMtnGobblers 02-08-2013 08:37 AM

I may try it thanks for the tip, about any loud nois will do the trick. I have walked right by birds using the owl call only to walk by again using a more shrill call to get a responce.

springspur 02-10-2013 04:25 PM

locator calls

a buddy of mine told me that a crow call wrong and too loud will get better results cuz it bugs the gobbler and he just has to say something.

RIStrutStopper 02-13-2013 11:07 AM

I'd try the air horn thing but it might prevent some landowners from signing my permission slip again next year...

turkey harvester 02-13-2013 11:14 AM

The birds around my house get used to me hooting and crow calling, I now use an yote howler and they'll answer just about every time.

Psylocide 02-13-2013 11:14 AM

I bought a crow call for locating, but I feel like I wasted 8 bucks... I made a tube call for no cost that is LOUD.

If I just blow as hard as I can into it, it's almost deafening.

swampbuster 05-23-2014 04:10 PM

I have used my car horn on occasion and it generates a response sometime

Western MA Hunter 05-30-2014 10:06 AM

yes... car horn... I have located the night before on the roost w/ the horn and slipped in and whacked em in the am.

blessed n born to hunt 04-11-2017 04:11 AM

I also wasted money on a crow call . I also hear real owls and no response then saw a gobbler , go figure . The birds are where I'm not . Starting to feel like their winning . God luck and thanks for the tip ,may have to try the air horn at the grasslands .thanks very kindly

Animeskin 06-09-2018 10:55 AM

A crow call works better. Don't think of other option

Erno86 09-10-2018 07:18 AM

I heard a blood curdling scream might work...something like the mating call of a red fox or a screech owl. I've had shock gobbling success while using my peacock or pileated woodpecker calls; though I have to plug my ears with my fingers while I use them. Generally...I barred owl hoot by only using my mouth. My wooden crow call has the best tone --- Call like a angry, growling crow (you want to hum from you're vocal cords while calling), that has just discovered a hawk or an owl: caaaaaaaw...CAW!!! CAW!!! CAW!!! (It is a rallying cry for crows)--- Stop (you'll want to keep the crow calling sequence short)...so you can listen intently for a possible shock gobble --- Though, try to keep hidden from the incoming crows, so they don't give off an alarm call in case they see you.

Sometimes a goose call works...but not always (same goes for the rest). I also sometimes use my plastic hawk call in combination with my crow call. Just after an airplane or helicopter flies overhead...listen for a possible shock gobble.

Arrowmaster 09-12-2018 06:04 AM

Ive heard toms gobble at all kinds of distant sounds from train whistles, car doors slamming, someone hammering on a piece of tin, owl hooters, crow calls etc etc etc. Whatever works is what I say. Although I wouldn't go into the woods when I was hunting using a train whistle, air horn, slamming car doors or hammering on a piece of tin. Scout them before hand and know where they are.

Erno86 09-12-2018 08:51 AM

If you want a first hand experience in shock gobbling....ask a turkey raising farmer too see his penned gobbler flock. You'll hear that they will shock gobble to almost any sound. But be careful not to have any young kids sneak into the turkey pen, because the turkeys might peck them to death --- which happened in Maryland to a small infant that crawled into a turkey pen --- about 50 years ago. (I'm 67 years old)

Erno86 09-12-2018 08:58 AM

Some "roadside gobblers" are close enough to hear a car door slam, but their usually the ones that get shot at the first.:busted: