Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

locating birds "my style"

Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Spike

Thumbs up locating birds "my style"

I live on a 70 acre farm and I have been hunting bird's for the last 9 years. A tip I use to locate birds! Throw away the crow call and the owl hoot!!! Go buy an AIR HORN and give it a hoot!!! Ive located so many birds and killed some big Pa long beards. Last year was 11 1/4 in beard with 1" 1/2 spurs. Once i locate the birds I slide in within a 100 yds and set up Mr. B mobile that i replaced with a jake fan and snipped the beard down to about 2 inches. i set 2 hens out with him and the birds just cant resist!!! Good luck to all you turkey hunters Hope this tip works just as well as it does for me!!! gobble gobble gobble!!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Spike

I don't know if I'll do the air horn idea, but the decoy setup wounds pretty killer. Good luck on your property and following seasons.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find that a crow call works well, but you really have to hammer at it several times. Just blowing the call to sound like a crow won't often work.

I'd imagine the air horn would work. Something to keep in mind, especially when hunting new areas that get some hunting pressure. A new sound can work when other common locators won't.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

I may try it thanks for the tip, about any loud nois will do the trick. I have walked right by birds using the owl call only to walk by again using a more shrill call to get a responce.

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 02-26-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default locator calls

a buddy of mine told me that a crow call wrong and too loud will get better results cuz it bugs the gobbler and he just has to say something.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd try the air horn thing but it might prevent some landowners from signing my permission slip again next year...
Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

The birds around my house get used to me hooting and crow calling, I now use an yote howler and they'll answer just about every time.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a crow call for locating, but I feel like I wasted 8 bucks... I made a tube call for no cost that is LOUD.

If I just blow as hard as I can into it, it's almost deafening.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

I have used my car horn on occasion and it generates a response sometime
Old 05-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

yes... car horn... I have located the night before on the roost w/ the horn and slipped in and whacked em in the am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.