Community
Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

Do's and Don'ts of Ground blinds

Old 06-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Spike

thanks for the great tips!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i think turkey see like the cheetah, black and white, grays...i saw a show where the cheetah chased a baby gazelle 100 yards er somethin, and when the baby crashed to the dirt and laid still, the cheetah couldnt see it 10 feet away layin in plain sight.
I've not heard that I'll look into it.

I've always been under the understanding they have the best eyesight out of dang near anything in the woods.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info.

Here's a question- has anybody ever tried one of the "chair blinds" that they sell at Cabelas? It looks like it would work, not as heavy as a pop-up blind, but not a lot of room to move around I suppose?
Before I consider buying one, I'd like to hear the pros & cons from real consumers.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104365080
Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

They can see colors, but as has been mentioned it's ANY movement that they will pick up in a heartbeat. When they are in close I will swear they can see you blink an eye their eyesight is so acute. Where I see deer a long way off and am out in the open and move a little bit, the deer don't run. Put a turkey in that same situation and he's gone!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Spike

Good Thread! We have even taken two blinds on placed them side by side in the middle of a pasture when we have 4 to 5 people or kids we are taking out. Gets to be a lot, but plenty of people to carry all the stuff.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Spike

JW, your posts are great! I can't wait to go out and swat one so I can make my own fan and call! thanks for all of the good tips!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Spike

If u live or hunt near a tree line into an open field with turkeys....u can time their activity daily. i use the cheapest dog blind from walmart... sit furthest back in the blind with gun ready...their eyesight, as mentioned is insane... sit about an hour before u normally spot them. dog blind always produces... just bagged my hen for the fall
Old 10-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Spike

Great advice from everyone. I've never used a blind before but will do in the spring. As far as decoys go, how many do you put out? Do you always need a jake? If so, how many hens to a jake?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:59 PM
JW
Super Moderator

As far as decoys ~ One can be enough to then two or three. I like to mimic what I see real birds doing. For Fall I may use 6 to 10 or more as I do have quite an array of decoys.

For spring I like using 2 hens the most but do add a strutting Tom once and a while. But a Strutting Tom will make a less dominant Tom stay far out of gun range. So be aware of that.

My last spring hunt of this year I had a real nice MATURE TOM stay on the other side of the field and gobble his fool head off for over an hour easy. He clearly could see my twon hen decoys. One feeding and one laying ont he ground ready to be mated.
What he did not like was my simple real Jake fan I had mounted on a stick. No decoy body to this just a Jake Fan. And it kept Mr. Panzy 120 yards away!

Nothing I could do but just it there. As I was pinned......and this happens some times.!

JW
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Spike

Cool, thanks for the tips. It'll be interesting when I start playing around with those decoys in the spring. Something different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.