Community
Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

Turkeys

Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Spike

Default Turkeys

Ive hunted deer for 20yrs or more but never hunted turkey but now i want to try it so i,ll be here asking a lot of questions.The first is i didn,t know turkey called to each other this time of the year.Went deer hunting the second weekend of nov.and it sounded like a turkey calling contest going on,probally three to four hundred yds away.A lot of ruckus and then this sat the same thing.I,ve heard turkey before but not like this and not that many and loud.About noon i moved and saw about 20 turkey in a soybean field which later went past the spot i had been at and really roughed up the ground and snow in that spot,what was that,looking for food?Sticky,s post was helpfull and i see i need to learn a lot and start watching now.Do they keep a lot of the same habbits now as in the spring?And how,s hunting turkey with a crossbow,can i use the same broadheads as i do with deer or do i need to get the 12ga out?
Thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Crossbow, check the regs in your state as to weather you can use it or not.

Scratching in the snow and dirt, yes they are feeding and mark that spot in your brain turkeys are creatures of habit and will come back to that spot to eat. How regular they eat at the same area and can be determined by weather it is a large area that has been churned up a lot or just a place they stopped along the way. If they scratch and lay in that spot putting dirt under their wings that is a dusting area.
I have not hunted in the fall so cant help you there.
If you want to hunt turkeys pattern them, Look for their roost not far from the field you saw them in, and at dusk or early morning use a locater call to confirm where they are roosting. Then mark ware they are traveling eating and fighting, (where they are fighting could be their strut area come spring) these may or may not be the same in the spring in your location, I hunt mountain Merriam's and they move a couple miles from fall and winter habitat areas.
Good luck

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 01-05-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Walks on chips
Ive hunted deer for 20yrs or more but never hunted turkey but now i want to try it so i,ll be here asking a lot of questions.The first is i didn,t know turkey called to each other this time of the year.Went deer hunting the second weekend of nov.and it sounded like a turkey calling contest going on,probally three to four hundred yds away.A lot of ruckus and then this sat the same thing.I,ve heard turkey before but not like this and not that many and loud.About noon i moved and saw about 20 turkey in a soybean field which later went past the spot i had been at and really roughed up the ground and snow in that spot,what was that,looking for food?Sticky,s post was helpfull and i see i need to learn a lot and start watching now.Do they keep a lot of the same habbits now as in the spring?And how,s hunting turkey with a crossbow,can i use the same broadheads as i do with deer or do i need to get the 12ga out?
Thanks

I'd be glad to swap you a Turkey hunt in WV on excellent private ground for some private ground bowhunting over your way. I've hunted turkeys for 30 years. PM me if interested.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at some of the reading material on this site and others. Turkeys call 365 days a year, just for different reasons during different seasons. From my experience,the way you talk about the ruckus of turkey calling you heard, this time of year you were probably hearing either turkeys trying to locate one another or a flock trying to establish a pecking order for spring with a little sparring match. I heard a little flock of hens purring and scratching around in a hollow the other day while I was deer hunting. Soft purring is a sign of contentment and turkeys generally do this while feeding or just hanging out with other friends. That soybean field you speak of could be a good place to continue scouting before the season comes in. But don't expect it to be a cakewalk just because birds are already out there almost every single day. Plan a route to get where you can see the field and get close enough to have a shot without being busted. Turkeys can't smell at all, but they will spook at even the sight of your fingers moving towards the trigger from 100 yards away. If you can see them clearly, chances are they got you pinpointed and will either not come close to you at all no matter how sweet your calling is, or they will spook as you ease closer thinking they don't see you. The best chance you'll have at those field birds is scouting the days before the season comes in, and being set up almost right on the field opening morning while it's still pretty dark. But try to contain your anger and disappointment when they don't show up. Patience and humility will be your most valuable tools when turkey hunting. I'm a big believer that if it's your day to kill a bird then it's your day. You might set up and have 20 birds walk right past you and give you a perfect shot, or you might not see or hear a single bird all day no matter how much scouting you've done. It's a lot of fun, and the best way to become a skilled turkey hunter is by being in the woods and letting the turkeys teach you. I started hardcore turkey hunting when I was 16, over 10 years ago. I drove myself to my woods and taught myself, (and allowed the turkeys to teach me), everything I know now. Go into it with a good attitude, willing to learn and enjoy the day. That's what it's all about. There's nothing like a cool spring morning with 4 or 5 different hot longbeards around you gobbling their heads off. It's addicting man, and it beats the crap out of deer hunting every single time, and I've experienced my share of exciting deer hunts ending with a trophy on the wall. Good luck to you and do as much reading as you can before opening day. And most importantly, have fun and be safe.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing I should add. When you've got a clear visual of birds in an open field, be sure to "throw" your calls in different directions so it's harder for them to pinpoint your location. For example, if you're watching a group of toms in a field from about 200 yards away, your first thought would probably be to call straight ahead and try to get their attention. This would most likely work on young jakes or sometimes on a few of the dumber 2 year old birds. But the wise tom is more than likely going to circle you and come up behind you or to your far side. Try turning your head and cupping your hand to direct sound behind you. This could help to call that hesitant gobbler straight to you.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input.I'd forgot about this post and put another in the forums.