Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

Late Spring Gobblers

Old 05-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Spike

Default Late Spring Gobblers

Hey guys. Getting gobblers in late spring can be pretty challenging, especially birds that are heavily pressured. I just thought I would pass on a few tips I have figured out over the last few years of going after these late season birds. First off, one of the most effective tools I have added to my bag is a gobble shaker. They're really easy to use and have been very effective for me at bringing in toms that hang up outside of range. The birds around here (Wisconsin) get really call-shy by about the third or fourth hunt, and the gobble call has really worked at convincing the toms to come in. Another tip that I've learned the last couple years is sticking around and hunting the birds later in the afternoon. 3 of my last 4 birds were taken after 1pm. Once the hens start setting they leave the toms all alone and very vulnerable to calling. Anyway, these are just a few tips for getting those late season gobblers. Best of luck to all!

Last edited by buckdown3131; 05-11-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

In NY we can only hunt till noon, I think after 10am is a good time to call lonely toms.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
In NY we can only hunt till noon, I think after 10am is a good time to call lonely toms.

I also think so.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 AM
Spike

Any suggestions on which call/calls to use for getting birds to respond to you? I've spent the last 2 days in the woods using anything I can think of and haven't had a single bird respond. I've tried setting up on field edges, tried setting up a couple hundred yards into the woods and I've sat there for 2 hours at a time and haven't heard so much as a cluck out of a turkey. It's exhausting.

Thanks for the tips though, I just can't seem to locate any birds right now to know if I'm even in a decent area.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Currently here I am using the cutter call with a few hen yelps and have gotten some responces. It has been hard though with all the rain and wind we have been getting this year.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:17 AM
Spike

Thanks! Here are some more tips I found for Late season turkey hunting.
http://bonecollector.com/bc-news/str...urkey-hunting/